What is the lightest Firewall?

What is the lightest Firewall? Less use of RAM, less stupid and useless options, less use of CPU, etc. And working perfectly with P2P applications.

I use ZoneAlarm Pro, and it's very good. The problem is when I use a P2P (peer to peer) software, the memory used grow an grow, no stop, never, and I need restart it every day or two days (My PC is ON, ALWAYS, 24h, for months) ZA start using 4MB, and 48 hours later, it's using 40MB :x (Never tried, but maybe if I don't restart ZA on one week, it will be using more than 150MB of RAM or more) :x

Somebody here a while back recommended Tiny Personal Firewall. An old version of it (2.0.15 or so) is free, so I tried it out and it's great. I think it's what you might be looking for. It's sorta hard to find, but try this link: Link

Are you/was you using the latest version of ZA Pro? 5.0.590.015?

No, I have version 4.5.530.000, and reading the ZA changes history, today, I don't see any of fixes or new features, solve the problem.

Why you ask? :huh: Do you know this version solve something?

ZA start using 4MB, and 48 hours later, it's using 40MB  (Never tried, but maybe if I don't restart ZA on one week, it will be using more than 150MB of RAM or more)

It seems like ZA, in your case, is having trouble freeing the ram which, ofcourse, isn't normal.

No, I have version 4.5.530.000, and reading the ZA changes history, today, I don't see any of fixes or new features, solve the problem.

Why you ask? :huh: Do you know this version solve something?

Try upgrading to the latest version to check whether the same problem is still there.

Sometimes fixes like this might not be listed in the change log.

Kerio PF 2.15 seems to be the lightest that i've ever used, I dont like the latest version becuase of the added 'bloat' but 2.15 seems to do everything I want, and allows full control over all its features.

blackice is pretty light and simple to config

lol blackice is the worst, I especially hate it scans my system files all the time, makes my computer as slow as having 3 antivirus software installed...

i supppose ICF in XP Pro/Server 2003 is fit for ur requirement. ;)

Do you know if ICF (WinXP standard firewall) is a GOOD and secure firewall? I think isn't :wacko:

My GOD, a lot of recommendations that confuse me :huh: Two people say Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 is good, but I see latest version is 4.0.16 :blink: (Somebody say me that Kerio is difficult for configure) :pinch:

About last version of ZA Pro 5.0..., it's a bug version (read official forum) :shifty:

What is the lightest Firewall? Less use of RAM, less stupid and useless options, less use of CPU, etc. And working perfectly with P2P applications.

I use ZoneAlarm Pro, and it's very good. The problem is when I use a P2P (peer to peer) software, the memory used grow an grow, no stop, never, and I need restart it every day or two days (My PC is ON, ALWAYS, 24h, for months) ZA start using 4MB, and 48 hours later, it's using 40MB :x (Never tried, but maybe if I don't restart ZA on one week, it will be using more than 150MB of RAM or more) :x

windows firewall in up-coming sp2 will be perfect for you

ZoneAlarm Pro isn't the litest and there are memory problems when running software like eMule, though DC++ works just fine. ZoneAlarm 5 does not solve this problem, so don't bother with the upgrade.

If you are running Win98SE/ME, it is possible to run vsmon (the security engine) without the GUI, freeing up some resources.

Do you know if ICF (WinXP standard firewall) is a GOOD and secure firewall? I think isn't :wacko:

I know it is. It's just as good as any other firewall at blocking incoming traffic.

Umm. A NAT? It uses zero of you PC's RAM, zero of your PC's CPU and generally has less stupid and useless options (well that's debatable).

I'd use a hardware-based NAT as my first line of defence and then consider ICF in XP SP2 if you need something more robust.

I don't currently use a software-based firewall because

a) XP SP2 isn't yet official (when does it ship, kidz?)

b) I don't have any state secrets worth stealing

c) I don't engage in high risk behaviour (on my PC anyway)

That's actually not true either. I do have ZoneAlarm installed on this particular box but it's always one step away from being uninstalled.

I just quit it and gained 11MB. Hmmm. Maybe I should trash it now...

The BIG problem with firewalls is that applications are TOO advanced. I don't need popup blocker, or parental control, or privacy bots, or email/web filters, or ad/banner block, or big log files, or cache/cookie cleaner, or integrated antivirus, or $%&/$% :sleep: ... I ONLY need a easy to use FIREWALL protecting my PC :pinch:

The BIG problem with firewalls is that applications are TOO advanced. I don't need popup blocker, or parental control, or privacy bots, or email/web filters, or ad/banner block, or big log files, or cache/cookie cleaner, or integrated antivirus, or $%&/$% :sleep: ... I ONLY need a easy to use FIREWALL protecting my PC :pinch:

Sygate then, just a firewall.

i would use an old (2.x) version of tiny/kerio personal firewall, doesn't have any default filters and will ask you what to do for each connect (untill you allow/block it permanently)

doesn't have any useless anti virus, popup stuff, spam stuff etc :)

It sounds like you have a memory leak in your old version of zonealarm. Just upgrade to the latest one and you should be fine.

As for those people who think it uses up to much memory, ram is priced so low you dont have an excuse.