modify iTunes 4.5 arrow's link

i followed macosxhints and typed the command in terminal to change the link arrow's behaviour but no luck. it says command not found. what gives?

defaults write com.apple.iTunes invertStoreLinks -bool YES

is this the right command?

http://www.ritebrane.com/iTunes/SwitchiTun...rrowLinking.sit

"This script toggles the arrows' default behavior to look in the local library OR the online store.

Unstuff it and drop it into /Users/(your home folder)/Library/iTunes/Scripts/.

It will appear in the iTunes scripts menu.

(As the original tip notes, you can always invert the chosen behavior momentarily by holding Option while clicking an arrow.)

Copy it freely and post it anywhere you want. You can open it in Script Editor to see how it works."

when i clicked on the script in iTunes, the terminal popup and the exact same command came up and followed by "command not found" again.

i think i know what's wrong now.. could it be the BSD subsystem thingy? i just reformatted my Mac few days ago and i didn't install the BSD subsystem, what the hell is that anyway?

my guess would be all the command line fun stuff. that would be why this is failing. i thought you meant it ran successfully, but nothing changed :p

anyway, if you really want to get it w/o the bsd stuff, do this:

open a new finder window and point it at your hard drive

type "com.apple.itunes.plist" in the search

only one file should show up

open that in text edit

after the very first <dict> create a new line and type (copy/paste):

"<key>invertStoreLinks</key><true/>"

w/o the quotes.

save and quit, reopen itunes.

sorry i could help you out more :( good luck. it's probably a good idea to install the bsd subsystem, since one day you may run into something you truly need it for... nothing jumps to mind, but ya know. then you should be able to use the command you found.

Aaron, I turned off the links, they were annoying. Do you really find them helpful in iTunes, now they're pointing locally?

very very helpful. :)

of course you don't need 'em, there's only like 10 songs in your library. :p

very very helpful. :)

of course you don't need 'em, there's only like 10 songs in your library. :p

Yea they seem pretty cool! :)

...LOL Aaron, i feel immensely slow - whatcha mean man? I'm on about 3000 songs :p :D