cant install mandrake10

hey guys, I want to install mandrake 10, and I allready burned the 3 install cds, but when I restart my pc and try to boot from cd1 it doesnt boot from it :crazy: :wacko: I looked at the image file with winiso and it said it is a bootable cd. I tryed burning the image with nero6 and alcohol120% but got the same result. anyone else got this problem and can some1 please tell me how to fix it?

thx

Assuming you burned it correctly (you have many files & directories, rather than one big xxxxxx.iso file, when you explore the CD), then you have run into the problem where CD1 is not bootable on some systems...

boot from CD2, and it will boot and complain that this is not the first CD. Then put CD1 in, and it will install.

From what I have heard, CD1 is bootable on some systems, and CD2 is bootable on others.

I restart my pc and try to boot from cd1 it doesnt boot from it

Make sure you pc's bios is set up to boot from the cdrom drive first.

ok, when I insert disk 2 it boots, and then there comes a little screen that tells me to press something to do something , or to press ENTER to INSTALL the OS. when I press enter, I see how the loading bar goes up to like 1/3rd and then the screen goes black and stays black. Ive been letting it sit there for a few hours but the screen stayed black :(

and then hit enter to install? right?

It should.

I have only done one install of Mandrake 10, but I had to boot off #2, and switch when it complained.

I thought I made the switch back to #1 clear enough in my earlier post, but I see that I didn't say it was an immediate switch, and you might easily believe it needed to load a bunch of stuff off of #2 first. :huh:

Sorry. :p

ok, I did it again and even reburned the 1st cd and there are pretty much two things that happen:

1st.: It gives me an error message: could not find kernel image: vmlinuz

2nd.: It just says its the wrong cd and I should insert the right one and press any key to continue

please help me :cry: :cry:

We posted at the same time. :wacko:

Yes. Boot off #2, and when it complains, you immediately switch to CD 1, then hit enter.

It should take right off then. :)

Easy, right? :pinch: lol (a bit counter-intuitive release from Mandrake, I agree)

none of that really worked, still got the same error messages.

Im redownloading the cds now

Redownloading?

If the md5sum checked out, then a fresh download won't help.

You can md5sum the downloaded file, and you can also md5sum the CD to verify a proper burn.

Mandrake 10 is full of horrible bugs like this. I've tried 3 machines and can't get it to install on any. They all refuse to boot from the first CD, and when you get them to boot on the second cd, when it gets to the KDM part, it dies and drops you in the console and shuts down. I can install Gentoo without problems, so its not user error.