good wireless sniffers?

This may be kinda offtopic, but eh.

Becareful when driving in your car while trying to find some wireless networks. I was over at my friend's (Jon) house last week and some kid that we knew kept driving by with his friend trying to get into Jon's network. He basically had plans of getting into the network, changing some passwords, deleting some crap, etc. So while he's doing this, (he thinks we can't see him) we start to fill water balloons. He finally sees us and slowly drives away. Me and my friend both throw our water balloons and nail the kid and the laptop. F'king hilarious.

Well... I'm assuming you want a windows program.... And I'm fairly sure NetStumbler works with D-Link cards... So go NetStumbler. Works a lot better and has more options if you are interested in keeping track of what you find.

I tried to use boingo once as a stumbler program... Didn't work very well. I use NetStumbler and then the T-Mobile WiFi Connection Manager to establish a connection because the WindowsXP WiFi configuration program is junk. I use my Netgear client at home but on the road the T-Mobile one because if it's ease of use.

T-Mobile WiFi Connection Manager

Becareful when driving in your car while trying to find some wireless networks. I was over at my friend's (Jon) house last week and some kid that we knew kept driving by with his friend trying to get into Jon's network. He basically had plans of getting into the network, changing some passwords, deleting some crap, etc. So while he's doing this, (he thinks we can't see him) we start to fill water balloons. He finally sees us and slowly drives away. Me and my friend both throw our water balloons and nail the kid and the laptop. F'king hilarious.

:rofl: Wish you had taken a picture for us to see :laugh: LOL

netstumbler is not a sniffer, he just tells you what networks are transmiting theyre ssid as you drive throu them, nothing more then that.

NetStumbler dont let you see the trafic of the network and doesn?t connect you to it, it just show them to you nothing more.

Well I guess that is either my misunderstanding or you reading too far into a question...

What jingarelho is trying to ask is... Are you simply trying to detect wireless networks or are you actually trying to capture data from the wireless network?

so if I wanted to see what was being transmitted across my home wireless network, what would be a good program? I'm assuming everything is in plain text, unless encryption is turned on, but still would be interesting to see.

so if I wanted to see what was being transmitted across my home wireless network, what would be a good program?  I'm assuming everything is in plain text, unless encryption is turned on, but still would be interesting to see.

I use ethereal if I want to just stare at packets flow... I also like Iris because it can do packet reconstruction and attempt to rebuild websites as they appear on the user screen.

depends of your defenition of a network sniffer

Considering he was asking about NetStumbler and Boingo I just went along with the question he asked and not the dictionary definition of what the programs do.

Ethereal says that they don't do wireless but I've not had any problems using it with my Netgear WG511, 2Wire or Linksys WPC11... Maybe they don't work as well with the program as a wired connection but it worked well for sniffing out passwords for me quite a few times.

Stunod7 - You used the 2Wire for sniffing ?

Was gonna get the Wireless adapter for mine - Now I got something to look forward too, ROFL :p

Yeah... I hooked my girlfriends SBC DSL kit up and it came with a 2wire PCMCIA card and her laptop had WiFi built in... If you look at the bottom it uses the Agree chipset and works like a charm. Works great in Knoppix too ;)

Edited by Stunod7

tinley park? i'm in lockport, lol, would loved to have seen that one.

me and my buddy drive around with my laptop or his powerbook and find networks...

getting boring after a few minutes usually, but oh well..

if your card has a Prism chipset ehtereal will work just fine. Most of the sniffers only suport Prism chipsets. I have an Intel ® Pro 2100 B and still haven?t found one that works.:((

Thinking about getting an ORINOCO or SENAO wireless card.