jpgs and macs

im trying to help my friend with a cd that she got from a photo store that has jpgs of pictures that she took. for some reason her g4 power book keeps spitting out the cd. i dont think the drive is bad as i can read music cd's no problem and the cd with the photos is readable on my windows pc. am i right that jpgs should be readable on the mac as well as the windows pc?

as far as i can tell it is. i can read it on my windows pc with no problem but for some reason i cant get it to read on the mac.

she's gonna take it in later. luckily hse has applecare so that shoudl take care of it but right now we are trying a work around for her to get her files. can i use winzip to zip her files and have her extract them with stuff it on her mac?

she's gonna take it in later. luckily hse has applecare so that shoudl take care of it but right now we are trying a work around for her to get her files.  can i use winzip to zip her files and have her extract them with stuff it on her mac?

yes. Before she takes it back however, do other disks work in it alright?

well we only tried a music cd but it picked it up with no problem. it didnt spit it out at us at all. so i dont know if its the disc or if its the drive but its definitely a pain to deal with.

well we only tried a music cd but it picked it up with no problem. it didnt spit it out at us at all. so i dont know if its the disc or if its the drive but its definitely a pain to deal with.

It might be an issue with the method and software that they actually used to burn the disk rather than the drive itself if it's working fine with other disks. I would suggest taking the disk to the Apple Store and seeing if it works on any of the other macs and if not then getting the drive fixed.

Mine doesn't seem to like disks that are burned with ez cd creator at all

Sounds like they have burnt the CD in a windows only format or something.. go to an apple store and try it in one of there apple macs.

Sounds like they have burnt the CD in a windows only format or something.. go to an apple store and try it in one of there apple macs.

Good point. It could be that they burned the disc with DirectCD or InCD, and didn't finalize the disc correctly. I really, REALLY hate those programs.

Somewhat off topic but is the CD scratched at all?

If it reads in his windows computer yet does not in his friends Mac then I don't think it would be scratch. (unless Macs read discs from the outside in and there's some scratch on the outer ring of the CD which I don't think they do) :wacko:

If it reads in his windows computer yet does not in his friends Mac then I don't think it would be scratch. (unless Macs read discs from the outside in and there's some scratch on the outer ring of the CD which I don't think they do) :wacko:

Well, Im just wondering because I have some of my stuff from my PC backed up to CDs and theyre scratched a bit, they read fine in Windows but the Mac wont copy some of the files because of a read error...

Has anyone considered that maybe the Photo store burnt a DVD and this guy just happens to have a DVD drive in his PC but not the Mac?

hahahaha that would be like the most obvious answer aswell :D Cant believe we all overlooked that one. I bet it is that aswell hahaha

Has anyone considered that maybe the Photo store burnt a DVD and this guy just happens to have a DVD drive in his PC but not the Mac?

Well, I have NEVER seen a photo disc burned on a DVD by any photo shop, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

she has a powerbook g4 that has a combo drive. its definitely a cd and there is a program on the cd that runs fine in windows. the photo store said that the disk should work fine for both windows and macs but that is apparently not the case with this one. i dont know what they used to burn the disk but we worked around the problem but this will be a pain for her with future prints. she will have to check with the photo shop to verify the compatiablity.

every computer with a g4 has a combo drive at least (dvd/cd-rw)

My Mac reads CDs that haven't been closed or multi-sessioned perfectly...??

Try copying the photo CD to your hardrive (PC) and making a fresh copy of it :)

Well, Im just wondering because I have some of my stuff from my PC backed up to CDs and theyre scratched a bit, they read fine in Windows but the Mac wont copy some of the files because of a read error...

Some drives used in macs are more picky about this -- the majority of pioneer drives for example. While they're great at burning DVDs, they SUCK at reading things.

Well, I have NEVER seen a photo disc burned on a DVD by any photo shop, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

I have every photo collection on disc I have ever came in contact with from a shop has been on DVD. High rez pictures and about 100 of them can eat up a CDr in a snap :whistle:

I (and I believe the original poster) was referring to the discs you get when you take a roll of film in for processing and get the pictures transferred to disc. I know the discs that Kodak shops give you back are on CD.

I (and I believe the original poster) was referring to the discs you get when you take a roll of film in for processing and get the pictures transferred to disc. I know the discs that Kodak shops give you back are on CD.

most of the ones here in the UK do as well unless you pay extra to get it on a dvd.

hahahaha that would be like the most obvious answer aswell biggrin.gif Cant believe we all overlooked that one. I bet it is that aswell hahaha

I think it's safe to assume by the fact that the fact she has a g4 powerbook that is still under Applecare, that it doesn't just have a cd drive.