Buying A Mac.

I've never used a Mac before.. so i fancy one. Also Never used a laptop/Notebook.

I can do about ?40 month so thats about ?1,200 ish.

Im looking at the iBook 14inch 1.2GHz. With 512MB RAM.

Or maybe a PowerBook 15 inch with 512MB RAM.

What do you recommend?

Also, could it connect to my ADSL Service with no wires? If so how?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/Uk...amily=PowerBook

For around the ?1200 mark - a PowerBook!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/Uk...87&family=iBook

Or an iBook if you wanna save some cash.

This is the NUS student site - but they don't ask for ID (they didn't to me and my friend). Up to 14% discount on here I think.

Personally - Go for the Powerbook, but not just yet. Wait til after the WWDC later this month, there are rumored updates which people are not too sure about. If not, then go for the 15" Combo at ?1200.

Well my mums paying for it and she is getting it me it within 4-5 weeks.. so hmmmm

15inch PowerBook with Combo Drive, whats the Combo Drive?

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2 SO-DIMMs

? ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive (5400rpm)

? DVD/CD-RW

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Keyboard & Mac OS

? 1.33GHz PowerPC G4

? 15.2-inch TFT display

? 56K internal modem

? Power Adapter

? Battery

Price: ?1,165.00

VAT: ?203.88

Subtotal: ?1,368.88

from what I read in Mac section, it appears that Apple memory though good is overpriced, they recommend getting the smallest amount possible from apple, and then buying some from Crucial etc.

perhaps you should ask in mac section for specifics?

Get The powerbook if you have not already decided to. Simply put, you will just get much more bang for the buck... But also as suggested wait a few more weeks and see what is coming down the pipes if anything...

Also in regards to Apple Ram... It is indeed much more expensive than other 3rd party companies ram, but over the years I have had very mixed results not using Apple "Certified"...

? Had A Beige PowerMac 8600 - mixed and matched the ram, never a problem

? Had A Black Powerbook G3 (Batman Model) - mixed and matched the ram, had issues, replaced other ram with Apple Certified, issues went away

? Had A Quicksilver PowerMac G4 - mixed and matched the ram, had issues, replaced other ram with Apple Certified, most issues went away

? Currently Have An Apple PowerMac G4 & Powerbook G4 - Apple Certified Ram throughout both, talked my rep into giving me a deal on top of their usual ram promotion, no issues regarding the ram at all.

I almost feel like Apple makes it so using other companies ram will cause issues, then again I am a big fan of conspiracy theories in general no matter what the topic may be =). I will also note, friends of mine have never used Apple Certified Ram, and they have never had any issues at all with 3rd Party Vendor's Ram.

So it really is up to you. If you can afford it, and or get a deal when initially buying it, I personally say stick with Apple Certified Ram.

And oh yeah, although it seems like 300$ for Apple Care is alot when you are also buying your hardware, i also suggest getting it. Coverage for 3 years as opposed to 1 is KEY, especially when dealing with laptops. i also learned that the hard way and decided not to get the Apple Care on my Powerbook G3. A year and 3 months into having it, I had an issue with the logic board among other things, and I will just say it cost me way more to fix than the 300$ I would have spent getting the initial Apple Care, in which i would have not had to pay a cent for anything to get fixed, it would have been covered. just another little word of advice, and again you can take it worth a grain of salt as it really is your decision to make. The big problem is people do not make their own Macs like people put together their own Windows based comps, hence why I feel Apple Care is almost needed.

Thanks for the nice long reply. Its just the 4 year re-payments of ?38 a month:blink::

np. and i do hear you. it is definitely a decision and commitment monetarily... one however i don't think anyone would be disappointed with...

...just imagine, surfing the web, opening email, etc, and not really having to worry about spyware or virus' at all because at the present time none are written specifically for the mac OS!!!! its almost a liberating feeling it really is... as opposed to running spybot every time you sign off the web along with adaware just because you know the spyware is out there... and dont forget the painstakingly long norton scans too... ahh the joys of using windows

the above is just 1 if 1000 reasons why i love my mac :DD

Could you tell me more? Like email me some screen shots, apllications that you use etc? Differences from XP and Mac OSX etc,. becuase it is a big commitment...

IN your own time, like when your not busy.

hypoxiaicon@msn.com Or PM me here. Sorry to In-convience you.

Get The powerbook if you have not already decided to. Simply put, you will just get much more bang for the buck... But also as suggested wait a few more weeks and see what is coming down the pipes if anything...

Also in regards to Apple Ram... It is indeed much more expensive than other 3rd party companies ram, but over the years I have had very mixed results not using Apple "Certified"...

? Had A Beige PowerMac 8600 - mixed and matched the ram, never a problem

? Had A Black Powerbook G3 (Batman Model) - mixed and matched the ram, had issues, replaced other ram with Apple Certified, issues went away

? Had A Quicksilver PowerMac G4 - mixed and matched the ram, had issues, replaced other ram with Apple Certified, most issues went away

? Currently Have An Apple PowerMac G4 & Powerbook G4 - Apple Certified Ram throughout both, talked my rep into giving me a deal on top of their usual ram promotion, no issues regarding the ram at all.

I almost feel like Apple makes it so using other companies ram will cause issues, then again I am a big fan of conspiracy theories in general no matter what the topic may be =). I will also note, friends of mine have never used Apple Certified Ram, and they have never had any issues at all with 3rd Party Vendor's Ram.

So it really is up to you. If you can afford it, and or get a deal when initially buying it, I personally say stick with Apple Certified Ram.

And oh yeah, although it seems like 300$ for Apple Care is alot when you are also buying your hardware, i also suggest getting it. Coverage for 3 years as opposed to 1 is KEY, especially when dealing with laptops. i also learned that the hard way and decided not to get the Apple Care on my Powerbook G3. A year and 3 months into having it, I had an issue with the logic board among other things, and I will just say it cost me way more to fix than the 300$ I would have spent getting the initial Apple Care, in which i would have not had to pay a cent for anything to get fixed, it would have been covered. just another little word of advice, and again you can take it worth a grain of salt as it really is your decision to make. The big problem is people do not make their own Macs like people put together their own Windows based comps, hence why I feel Apple Care is almost needed.

The ram in my iBook G3 from macsales.com works prefect.

Could you tell me more? Like email me some screen shots, apllications that you use etc? Differences from XP and Mac OSX etc,. becuase it is a big commitment...

IN your own time, like when your not busy.

hypoxiaicon@msn.com Or PM me here. Sorry to In-convience you.

sure, ill see what i can whip up for you... im on my way to see a client now in NYC so i will try to get to it this weekend and if not monday...

just so i know what to possbly point out, what do you plan on doing with it? and what are your normal day to day routines/habits currently on your computer? things along those lines

just PM me your answers so we stop spamming this thread ;)