[eBay] Scammer Spotted

Well my dad is a massive mountain biker and does it all the time, he is well known over here in the UK and has featured in magazines such as MBR and MBUK for is mountain bike riding. But he also does abit of road biking and decided to get a road bike, now he found a really nice on eBay and bidded for it and won it.

Now I noticed over the past few days that a lot of HIGH END ROAD BIKES have been put on the eBay scene by some one in Italy/Rome and the one my dad bidded on was one. So he wins the bike but we do not send payment until the seller has contacted us, now the seller listed the item being located in England but she is from Rome/Italy, now she sends me this long ass email in some very poor english and this email has scam written all over it.

Now this is the email and I am sure you will agree with me that this is a scam:

==================================================================

Hi there,

The frame size is 58 cm...Now please let me explain you how we can make a safe and fast tranzaction for bouth of as:

Let's start with the shipping of the unit

Shipping Options:

(1)FedEx Service

(2)UPS Service

(3)DHL Service

I would prefere UPS service because i've used before and i know how it works.If you have other preferences it won't be any problem.

When the unit it will be shipped,the package it will be insured for it value

I will make a Return Policy for 7 days.You will have 7 days to test the conditions of the unit.

Regarding payment:

Payment must be recived trough wire transfers, like Western Union because is a fast service.

Now look the steps you must make for this payment:

(1)You must go in any bank or postal office from your city with cash money and ask for a we stern union office.After you will find a office ,you will tell to the agent from there that you want to send the money via Western Union Money Transfer(not other service) to a friend.In my case this is my full name and address:

First Name :Linda

LAst Name: Hortz

Address:

City:Roma

Zip code:

He will learn you how to do that.It's verry easy.They will gave you a MTCN(money transfer control number).This MTCN# is verry important for this kind of tranzaction.If i don't have this MTCN# i can not take any money.To offer you a very safe tranzaction i will not ask from you this MTCN#.I only want to give me the Sender's (name and address) and Reciver's(name and address) like you will give at WesternUnion so i can check the transfer on www.westernunion.com to see if you really send me the money.

(2)If the transfer is good i will go directly at UPS-service and make the delivery.The package will arrive at your place in 24/48 houres.

(3)Imediatly you will have the package and inspect it you must e-mail me with THIS IMPORTANT MTCN# so i can take my money.

So this is the deal.You will have 7 days Return Policy .In this 7 days you will test the conditions of the unit.In case the unit won't be like i've told you,then you can return it back(i will support the taxes for returning the unit back).When you will return the unit ,the delivery service will give you back your money,that you have paid for the unit.This is the return policy.

So this is the policy regarding our deal.If you think this is not a safe and secure deal,i can contact ebay to insure our transaction at them.In this way ebay will send you an invoice where they will confirm:

-that i'm a honest seller

-that my registration informations were verificated

-that ebay allow the buyer to close the deal with my terms

-that ebay will be responsable for all negative consequence in our transaction/this because the transaction will be insured.

This is like a warranty from my part for you so you can't have reasons to worry about.Please let me know what do you think and if we make the deal.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!!!

Linda Hortz.......

================================================================

Now first thing I spot is that she will only except a WIRE TRANSFER and this points me in the direction of SCAMMER!! Also she talks about all the postage services I can chose but NO COST OF POSTAGE, so obviously she aint interested in sending me the bike.

Then she gives me a step by step guide on how to pay her via a wire transfer, so she is obviously more interested in getting the money then sending me the bike again points to a scam. Also at the end about HER contacting eBay to insure its a safe and secure deal, why cant I check with them? Well I have contacted eBay this morning and I am awaiting a reply from them and hopefully we can stop this seller selling more bikes to people.

Leave your comments please.

well her ebay id is: andiamomilano

now i no she isnt a registered user any more or that she has no feedback but it was my dad who placed the bid and he doesnt no thigns like that LoL

i hate it when i find myself in these kinds of messes.

esp cause i'm so excited about getting my new 'thing'.

i guess your dad is the one that has to continue waiting... :/

That's why I don't shop online. It's not safe. :no: except for bill-paying.

if you're not retarded it's very safe

i've gotten a laptop and two PDAs off ebay w/ no troubles, plus some other miscellaneous stuff

if you're not retarded it's very safe

i've gotten a laptop and two PDAs off ebay w/ no troubles, plus some other miscellaneous stuff

I also have bought many things from eBay. I have purchased two vehicles (Those, I flew out and picked up myself) and a few other high priced items (25 Nortel 3904 Phones for 2400$ Shipped, a New Lappy for 800$ shipped, etc.). If you have common sense, and you are careful about what you do and how you do it, you will be fine.

I would reccommend you dad pays for the goods with some kind of "protection" on his cash like CCP (dont know what it stands for but their a company that do that)....some kind of fraud protection for him if things go pear shape!

ChocIST

I have a friend who almost got done in the same scam, but it was with an ATI 9800XT. They where listed as being in the USA but when it can time to do the deal the money had to be sent to Rome by Western Union.

He went down to the Western Union office to see what he had to do as he had never sent money that way before. Luckly when he said he wanted to send money to Rome the guy asked him if it was for something of eBay as he had heard of a scam being run.

Safe to say he didnt send the money.

The email he got from the guy in Rome was almost the same as yours.

That's why I don't shop online. It's not safe. :no: except for bill-paying.

Crap, even bill paying can get screwed up. I had a payment made on 5/14/04 and not until 06/04/04 was it received by the recipient. Granted, most of the time it works flawlessly, but for some reason, this time was different. Took about 6 calls to my bank and 8 calls to the credit union in Hawaii the payment was going to.

One word of advice: don't leave unpaid loans if you're moving out of state. They suck!!!