High CPU Usage?

As my PC is idle, the CPU usage seems to be unusually high. The weird part is that task manager is not showing any process as being responsible for using the cpu.

post-11-1086783024.jpg

It's normal.

The System Idle Process' priority is set to low.

When nothing needs to be done then that process puts the CPU on idle. A CPU most work, you can not just turn it off then turn it on again.

I was talking about the part at the bottom that says CPU Usage: 93%

It should read 1% or something low when the system is idleing.

I was talking about the part at the bottom that says CPU Usage: 93%

It should read 1% or something low when the system is idleing.

mmmm :/ that shouldnt be :huh:

LOL! that process MAKES YOUR CPU GO IN IDLE MODE! Without it your cpu will run 100% ALL the time. when Idle process is at 99% that means your cpu is IDLING!

maybe you have this enabled:

(in System Properties, and it'll look a bit different in XP)

that has nothing to do with it.. that gives your background running processes a pariority over regular programs so they don't get affected when they are using your cpu to process.

This is what the performance tab looks like when it idleing.

I must have worded my original question badly if most people are mis-interpreting it.

post-11-1086785010.jpg

Yes Jabba, I understand it, it must look something like this, it's really a strange problem!

post-11-1086785370.gif

that has nothing to do with it.. that gives your background running processes a pariority over regular programs so they don't get affected when they are using your cpu to process.

I was thinking that one of the running services (System Idle Process) was given priority and thus using up resources.

Yes Jabba, I understand it, it must look something like this, it's really a strange problem!

Are you beeing sarcastic?

Think of the amount of cycles that the processor goes through each second... don't you think that there might be some rouding errors?

jabba100, please show us the process list when the graph is jumping up and down.

The CPU usuage is always over 15% or so. And there is no process using the cpu cylces. So the process list will look like the first screenshot I showed.

There are no virus/adware/spyware on the PC. I have checked for all that using the latest definitions for NAV/Adaware.

Checking the box for show processes from all users does not reveal anything new as I am the only user logged on. Its not a multi user environment like terminal server.

Not exactly sure what you mean by device drivers working hard.

But as the system is idleing, it is really doing nothing - not reading any cds/hard drives, not computing anything etc.

Most expensive solution: change the CPU ;) .

Hasn't anyone mentioned computer memory?

I'm pretty sure that won't solve the problem...

Could you give us a list of what starts up with your PC (all programs in the registry run folder and in the startmenu startup folder)?

As for changing the CPU. I will be doing that soon anyway, but I also think that this won't solve the problem. A rebuild will probably be neccesary.

I am attaching a screenshot of msconfig showing whats loading at startup.

post-11-1086859245.jpg

From looking at that, there really isn't anything weird that I haven't been using for ages.

There some sound program for the soundcard, three nvidia utilities for vidcard/mboard, NAV, Nero, DU Meter & my wireless card util.

This is all stuff I've been using for ages.

I'm thinking of classing this one as a mystery and just rebuilding my pc.

Those are all normal startup items but I don't realy see what the problem is, your CPU isn't running at 100% is it?

And the "system idle process" isn't a problem at all, it's just showing you that your CPU's status is idle (You won't be able to end this task either).

If your computer is running fine as it should there's no reason to change anything to it.

BTW: In your 1st post it said your CPU usage was 93%, but when you showed us the performance tab it showed less?