Something Wrong with my powerbook

there is something wrong w/ my powerbook and i'm not sure what. since last nite, it won't turn on. i hand my older bro (pixelwix) rite the power reset or whatever its called not sure ( where u take out the battery press some buttons and put it back and press some buttons again) and still not... this it the since time its happened. the first was a couple days ago and i don't really remember how i got it work again. i don't think anything is turn done really low... meaning the sound and screen. i placed the powerbook next to my ear and turn it on and i don't even here the harddrive turning on an spinning............ u guys got any idea what it couple be if not i'm about to go to the mac to to see what they say.

thankx

Edited by b|iZZaRd

well i'm at the apple store now and i they took it in for repairs. they are not sure what's wrong so they are shipping it to the depo... somewhere in texas...

what do u mean by sounds like anyother 10.3.4 victim whats wrong w/ 10.3.4 ( i did have 10.3.4 installed)

People have had problems with the 10.3.4 update with there powerbooks / ibooks just breaking, some people cant get them to turn on others will go on but just shut off after 5 mins... also other Mac owners like G5 owners have had problems ... so many problems hope they sort it out.

Yer good luck man these sorts of problems are so annoying, lots of people with the same problem you would think Apple would work quicker to fix there erros ESP when they are so severe.

im another victim sadly. im CONFIDENT my update to 10.3.4 cuased my pb to just go crazy - it wouldnt sut down (not even from terminal) .. log off.. restart (could from terminal) ..

but its annoying .. and after many tries with apple people over the phone, they said to basically reformat .. ARGH!!!!

the genius at the bar was liek dud e- i have never seen this before. .just try to format ..

im like coo! good deal ..ARGH! (im a 2 week old swithcer .. but i still love the pb ..and i am almost done converting my twin too .. lol) .. he LOVES the new pb ..

im another victim sadly. im CONFIDENT my update to 10.3.4 cuased my pb to just go crazy - it wouldnt sut down (not even from terminal) .. log off.. restart (could from terminal) ..

My PowerBook did that just after installing the update, but a second restart did the trick.

huezo - consider yourself luck ythen .. the onyl way i can shutdown is to go through terminal and kill the loginwindow .. (which logs me out basically) .. and i shut down from there .. ITS ANNOYING! but its that for now or reformat.. wchih i will get around to ..

but yea. .consider yourself lucky (did you do a force restart?)

At least you can do archive installs on OS X, it makes the format not a big deal at all, and it only takes about 20 minutes.

I install every update the day they are released and often install beta updates if I am bored. I have never had any problems with anything on my iBook G3.

huezo - consider yourself luck ythen .. the onyl way i can shutdown is to go through terminal and kill the loginwindow .. (which logs me out basically) .. and i shut down from there .. ITS ANNOYING! but its that for now or reformat.. wchih i will get around to ..

but yea. .consider yourself lucky (did you do a force restart?)

I first noticed that it wasn't going to sleep. I would close the lid, it would never go to sleep so I opened it back up and only then it would go to sleep. Then I had to wake it up by pressing some key. I tried to get it to restart/shutdown to see if it would fix the "sleep" problem and it got stuck at a blue screen with the little looping "loading" circle. I had to hold the Power Button for several seconds until it powered off. After that I booted it up and everything worked flawelssly. I guess I am lucky then. :D

Isn't this a hardware question, and thus should be in the hardware section?

No, because it's directly related to 10.3.4, or so it seems. I haven't had a single problem with it yet. In fact, it's helped my PowerBook.

No, because it's directly related to 10.3.4, or so it seems. I haven't had a single problem with it yet. In fact, it's helped my PowerBook.

10.3.4 has NOTHING to do with it not turning on.

It's hardware related...

It's hardware related...

yer thats why apple are advising people to format there machines when this happens after ohh wait installing 10.3.4 :rolleyes: sarcasem

yer thats why apple are advising people to format there machines when this happens after ohh wait installing 10.3.4 :rolleyes: sarcasem

Well it has to turn on to be able to run the OS X setup...

It's hardware related...

It could mess up a setting (say a power setting that isn't fixed by a PMU reset) and cause the machine to just not turn on.

Hmm, this could explain why my iBook isn't shutting down from the menu or anything, I'm physically pushing the power button to turn it off now.

Never had a problem with any Mac OS update, besides 10.3.4 and 10.2.8 (oh god that was a HORRID update...)

And I'm pretty sure this is a SOFTWARE issue, because it worked just fine on 10.3.3.

How long have you had it? Do you have applecare? :s

not very long its still under the year warranty which ends in augs

This is an intresting topic. Can somebody please explain me why a software would damage the hardware?

It doesn't damage it, some people have just been having issues with some features not working.

Apple seems to test these pretty well (with some exceptions), I think most of these issues are caused by things people have done to their systems.

I know somebody who had some bad ram, but it worked fine in 10.2.6, but not 10.2.8. Getting the ram replaced fixed the issue. The hardware test CD usually picks up problems like this.

And I'm pretty sure this is a SOFTWARE issue, because it worked just fine on 10.3.3.

It worked fine until it stopped working, in other words....