ADSL Not Working

Basically one of my mates has a ADSL modem that connects to the PC via USB, he get's a connection and I can also ping internal and external address along with URL's but when you open the internet explorer no pages loads it says page cannot be displayed?

How can i reinstall IE on WIndows XP Home?

What else could be the problem?

uuumm i have in options>connections>Lan settings button have autodetect Settings, if u havent tryed that then try it im sure its not IE its just something you have done wrong or havent done at all

Well, he's got ADSL, that means he has an ISP, which also means he has a phone number of said ISP to contact for tech support.

Just have him do so.

Has he tried it using another browser other than IE, I remember along time ago i had problems with IE not loading pages but when i used Opera it worked fine.

When i say not loading any pages i dont mean just the odd few, i mean everyone like usaid.

This problem may occur if any one or more of the following conditions is true:

-Internet Explorer connection settings are incorrect.

-An incorrect entry exists in a Hosts file.

-The Winsock.dll, Wsock32.dll, or Wsock.vxd file is missing or damaged.

-There are multiple copies of the Winsock.dll, Wsock32.dll, or Wsock.vxd file, or one of these files is in the wrong folder.

-TCP/IP is not installed or is not functioning correctly.

-The WinSock2 registry key is damaged.

-The Internet Connection Sharing installation is damaged or is not functioning.

-The Rnr20.dll file is missing or damaged or the "Library Path" value in the following registry key is missing or contains the wrong location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\ Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000001

If you are using America Online (AOL) or CompuServe, there may be parental control restrictions applied to the account.

Incorrectly configured or non-functioning firewall or proxy software

That could be pretty useless, Try reinstalling IE using this method.

Start>Run>rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

If not i have no idea, Sorry i couldnt help any further.

He does not use AOL so that does not apply to him....is there a simpler way for re-installing IE because he wont have a clue of what he is doing not that keen in I.T. maybe like a setup.exe