Blocking people of my netwrok from accessing my PC

I belong to a office network of about 18 people and my laptop is connected to a LAN. I?m not so worried about outside hackers but more some fellows inside the company playing practical jokes by ?locking? my system!

How do I prevent hem from doing anything to my pc!? I could enable my firewall but then I cant print on the network or see the network folders. Opening ports and stuff is a mission ? don?t know how to do it even though I?ve followed online instructions.

I really don?t want people messing around with my notebook not only because its frustrating to restart it but also because it?s not right.

Thanks!

Works here :huh:

That doesnt help his situation tho does it :rofl:

Maybe if he enables ICF and then reports back on any of the errors he may be getting.

Or he could be guided on how to open ports if need be on his ICF.

Brgs

First, you need to answer a very crucial question. Is this a Domain or a Workgroup environment?

Pranks like locking computers can still be done even with ZA and ICF enabled.

First, you need to answer a very crucial question. Is this a Domain or a Workgroup environment?

i dont know. its a network. how would i know which it is?

Only if there is 3rd party software installed, which za would pick up. ICF blocks RPC stuff, I use it at work for that reason.

If the other computers on your network have fixed IP addresses then you can just create rules within your firewall to block all incoming traffic from those IP addresses.

I share an ADSL connection via a router with a couple of other people in my house who know as much about computers as a can of baked beans. I have both of their IPs blocked in my firewall (Kerio) and it works a treat.

Curious - is that "YOUR" laptop, or "Works" laptop?

Who setup you network - you do not have any "IT" support? I would get with the support person for you network about your security concerns, etc..

Curious - is that "YOUR" laptop, or "Works" laptop?

Who setup you network - you do not have any "IT" support? I would get with the support person for you network about your security concerns, etc..

:yes: Yeah really!

well I log onto the network with my laptop with my name and password. If this helps, I have two "user icons" in control panel. One is the "windows 2000 user account dialog" and the other is "account setting for people who use this computer".

Most of the workstations here are on Linux with my and someone elses pc/ntebooks using XP. When I enable the XP firewall I cant print nor can i get into my folders on the network. I also cant see any of the other pc's in the network.

I dont know how to disable only traffic from those other ip addressed on the network.

I really dont want anyone to bug me around anymore with their boredom elleviated by stupid pranks. If someone could please help me id be most grateful.

Maybe you could contact me on MSN MEssenger using the following email address to find me: gnnc@msn.com and guide me on how to set this up.

Thanks alot!

Just install zonealarm or norton firewall, they prompt you when your trying to do things or someone else is trying to do something and ask's you weather you want to allow it.

You can try disabling netbios, it will make you invisible in network neighborhood. However, if your domain server is not set up correctly, you may not be able to logon to it after u make the change. If thats the case, simply change it back. Make sure u dont have netbui or any other werid ass protocols installed.

Do this:

enable yor ICF;

add the following ports do yor ICF in the advanced tab: 139 (TCP), 445 (TCP), 137 (UDP), 138 (UDP) in the

name or ip of the host you put 'localhost'.

Now you have windows XP firewall and you can print and share files with other computers on the lan.

Do this:

enable yor ICF;

add the following ports do yor ICF in the advanced tab: 139 (TCP), 445 (TCP), 137 (UDP), 138 (UDP) in the

name or ip of the host you put 'localhost'.

Now you have windows XP firewall and you can print and share files with other computers on the lan.

Good plan (Y)