Internet Keeps Dying

For some reason my Internet connection just seems to keep dying on me. I can browse the Internet for about 10-15 minutes, and then my Internet connection just refuses to keep working. It says that I'm still connected, but just stops sending and receiving. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer, but the problem keeps coming back.

Its not a problem with my ISP, and I have Adaware, Spybot, Norton Antivirus and there are no mysterious enteries in my msconfig, and there are no suspicious programs running in Task Manager. I have all the updated drivers for everything. I have the newest version of ZoneAlarm, and the problem persists even when its off. I'm always using Firefox at the time, but IE won't respond either.

Anyone know what the problem is?

For some reason my Internet connection just seems to keep dying on me. I can browse the Internet for about 10-15 minutes, and then my Internet connection just refuses to keep working. It says that I'm still connected, but just stops sending and receiving. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer, but the problem keeps coming back.

Its not a problem with my ISP, and I have Adaware, Spybot, Norton Antivirus and there are no mysterious enteries in my msconfig, and there are no suspicious programs running in Task Manager. I have all the updated drivers for everything. I have the newest version of ZoneAlarm, and the problem persists even when its off. I'm always using Firefox at the time, but IE won't respond either.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Whats your ISP? Sympatico is my ISP and every 3 hours it does that, so i have to reconnect, its very anoying in the middle of my delicious halo....i think it may be your network card...

i used to have that problem, i found that unpluggin your modem and router (if you have one) and pluggin it back in works. also upgrading the firmware on the router (again, if you have one) and if you have cable you can call your isp and they try and troubleshoot for you.

I already called Sympatico and they said that the problem was on my end.

Well I'm gonna try another network card because the other 3 computers in the house are all connecting and keep their connections with no problems.

Well I tried another NIC card and no dice. Maybe my XP installation is #@$%ed?

I seem to have found the culprit, heres one for the books. This popped up the last time the Internet died on me, I never waited this long, so I guess I missed it the other times. Odd because no ZoneAlarm related program or service was running at the time. Anyone want to recommend me a good free firewall?

post-32-1086925010.png

i had the same problem with my telus adsl once, but it wasnt caused by zonealarm, i had a worm doing this to me.

Well I did what the mysterious instructions said to do and its been over an hour. I'm going to run the McAfee online one tonight and the Norton one will go at 4 am. So far the computer has checked out work / virus free, so I think it was just ZoneAlarm acting up.

I had the same problem and mine ended up being ISP related. They gave me a static IP, reset the connection on their end, and it was fine from then on. I know, not good advice for you, but figured id throw out my experience.

BTW, it was with MSN:(

ah another poor soul using zone alarm, believe its crap, i switched to sygate firewall the other day, cus za kept freezin explorer.exe making the desktop unresponsive for 5-10mins every 15mins!!

Well I have it unistalled right now, I'm still deciding which one I should go with.