iBook or Powerbook

Hey guys,

After a long deliberation with my friends, I figured that for college Im gonna go ahead and get a Mac. But I have yet to decide which one. Ive been looking into both iBooks and Powerbooks, and I just want to know what the differences are between them. Like I know that the powerbooks are "faster and better", but how so? Is it like celeron vs p4? Ive been using PC's all my life, and all this is new to me.

Also if you have any suggestions as to which powerbook/iBook I should get, Id be glad to hear them. Im looking for one that I can do basic college crap on, but that will still be reasonably fast so I can do Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. Thanks in advance as always. :)

there has been a few threads about this lately, however i liike my ibook 12" and would recommend it for good performance and value and battery life. however a larger screen (15" PB) would suit the editing apps better.

Hmm. Yeah, I looked at the older threads about this but none of them really answered my question. But I did hear that powerbooks had greater expandibility, but iBooks had greater battery life or something.

If your budget allows you to buy a PowerBook it should be an easy choice! :whistle:

You get more of everything in a PowerBook, except for battery time.

If your budget allows you to buy a PowerBook it should be an easy choice! :whistle:

You get more of everything in a PowerBook, except for battery time.

Airport range is also noticeable better on the iBooks (from my tests with my iBook G3 compared to my friends PB 12'').

Xer34 - I use a 800MHz iBook 12" and i bought it (at the time) for the exact reason you are buying.. the iBook regularly ran Dreamweaver and Photoshop CS easily. The powerbook that you have linked to looks like a great buy and i would recommend it. You would want to upgrade the RAM from 256 to over 512MB at a minimum, but im sure you have heard head over to Crucial for the upgrade.

As for you buying a refurb.... refurbs from apple are amazingly good... i personally haven't bought one but an old friend has and it was like new. i think you would be amazed :D

[edit] also iBook do generally have longer battery life tho (mines hits 5hours on general use)

:happy: Thanks a bunch dude. I noticed the ram was a little low, so yeah, I was gonna upgrade that anyways. Thanks for the adivce though. Im still considering this, but now it seems more likely that Ill be getting it :)