Norton AntiVirus 2004 vs. McAfee AntiVirus 8.0

....initial installation of NAV screwed up and left it in a semi-installed state inwhich I could neither install nor deinstall it.

I've been there more than once.

i'm a happy user of mcafee v8. I can attest to (and agree with) most of what macodin has said in the features department. They've removed a lot of poweruser features moving from v7 to v8. Hopefully they either add some back (the long awaited v8.1 patch?) or get their act together for v9.

i was using Norton AV up until version 2003... Then, after seeing NAV2004 being a resource pig on some friends' PCs, i decided I would either stick up with NAV2003 or move to Symantec's Corporate solution. Indeed, I stayed with NAV2003 as long as I could... Now I have followed the Symantec Corporate path, since NAV isnt the best choice in network environments...

/Raptor

Get TrendMicro Internet Security. It just works and doesn't **** me off or wreck my computer. I don't work for them.

I second that! :D

My Dell 8300-3GHz is a lot more responsive since I got rid of NIS '04. I even tried the McAfee Internet Suite and it was worse than Norton's.

I have yet to find a antivirus that has ONE process, and doesnt take up to much memory.

Last time I checked, norton had 8+ processes, and McAfee had 6+

AV like AVAST have 3+, and AVG has came the closest with 2+.

When I find a 1+ AV that does NOT bother me in taskbar, when Im in full screen apps/games, I will use it.

[/quick rant]

I have yet to find a antivirus that has ONE process, and doesnt take up to much memory.

Last time I checked, norton had 8+ processes, and McAfee had 6+

AV like AVAST have 3+, and AVG has came the closest with 2+.

When I find a 1+ AV that does NOT bother me in taskbar, when Im in full screen apps/games, I will use it.

[/quick rant]

F-Prot Antivirus run 1 (2 MB) process only.

I prefer NAV or McAfee anything any day, I have had some McAfee horrow stories that would make you guys puke. Anyway though,. there was a NICE article in PC Magazine not to long ago that tested every AV program out there, it found that F-Secure had the best detection rate at 99.9%,. NAV and McAfee were both around the 94.5% area. Still true? :yes:

Same, there just running on reputation.

I got so tired of McAfee (having to sign in every time I had to update the product) that I am now using F-Prot AntiVirus. It's very light-weight and easy to use!

Well actually McAfee detects far more trojans than any other AV with the exception of Kaspersky, it also has a superior unpacking engine than most AV's and a superior memory scanner than most AV's.

McAfee's been a top notch AV detection wise since 6, is consistently one of the most robust AV programs out thier, and second in detection to Kaspersky alone. To say that McAfee's detection rates are sub par is a flat out lie.

If you don't like McAfee because of thier reputation, or because it didn't work on your system, or a past experience than fine, but you can not call it a sub par product in the detection department.

On another note I find people's hang up's over interfaces in an anti virus rather amusing. I don't know about you but I don't open and play with my anti virus settings every day. This isn't windows you don't stare at you anti virus' config screen all day, what the hell does it matter if the one day you had to set it up it looks like crap or is a little complex? Once you set it up you're done.

Another weird thing I've started to notice is peoples hang up's about system performance. People champion Nod32 and AVG as champions of little resource usage but don't you realize that they had to sacrifice things to get them to run that fast? You know a good on acess scanner with excellent unpacking abilities doesn't come cheap performance wise, there's a reason Kaspersky uses alot of resources while AVG doesn't. If all of you are so worried about system resources why don't you just stop getting on the internet?

That said McAfee VS 7.1 is better than 8 and Norton 2003 is better than 2004 as I said earlier.

Exactly why I use McAfee.

Though I have been tempted to try Kaspersky products....

My experiences:

McAffe 7: OK, had no issues

McAffe v8 IS: Anti-Spam kept blocking AV, used a lot of resources, stupid piracy protection kept asking for my pass. Crap. (firewall was nice tho)

NAV2k3: Good but it used a lot of resources

Nav2k4: F*** my system 2 times, so I had to do a format

KAV: Wouldn't work with multiple users logged on

Trend IS 11.2: The best thing ever, love the FW. The only thing I dislike is the updater which pops up. Would be nice if it would do this at night or while the screensaver is on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried both Norton and McAfee and I prefer McAfee way more on how well it detects the bad stuff!!

Compared to both, If you all install the newest Norton Antivirus on to say a Pentium 2 computer then install McAfee, You will see the results, I installed Norton on a Windows 98SE Based machine, after I restarted, got errors saying for some reason that Antivirus couldent start, gave errors, tried resolving them but wouldent work and it was hogging resources badly...

Compared to McAfee's newest version, it does wonderful, it doesnt hog no resources and did its job no errors when installed.

Both great products and I give Mcafee my recommendation!