Mac fans too loud!

Man I love my Mac but i am getting very annoyed by how loud it is, I did some quick googling and found out that the G3 & G4 PowerMacs are indeed very loud. I just want it to be as quiet as my PC. For example the PC I have starts up loud too but once I boot into Windows you can't hear the fans at all, they slow down. My question is does anyone know of some good quiet fans that I could get to replace the junk that apple installed? Also is there any way to maybe replace the fans in the power supply since they are like leaf blowers too, or maybe get a new power supply that would work in the tower?

Not sure if there is a way to do what you are talking about. The G5's for example have very sophisticated cooling systems with the lowering of noise as a primary goal. I've heard the first revision G5's didn't do quite as good a job at this as people hoped, some had problems with the power supply fan making a lot of noise. Though the new dual 2.5's are supposed to have a new liquid cooling system, that should make them a little more quiet.

Man I love my Mac but i am getting very annoyed by how loud it is, I did some quick googling and found out that the G3 & G4 PowerMacs are indeed very loud. I just want it to be as quiet as my PC. For example the PC I have starts up loud too but once I boot into Windows you can't hear the fans at all, they slow down. My question is does anyone know of some good quiet fans that I could get to replace the junk that apple installed? Also is there any way to maybe replace the fans in the power supply since they are like leaf blowers too, or maybe get a new power supply that would work in the tower?

Do they use non-standard fans? I'm not familiar with Macs, but that seems like something you'd have a hard time making a custom fit of. I mean, there's only such much you can do with a fan.

As for the power supply, if they are just normal fans, you can open it up and replace the fan in there. Usually. I've done it on 2 PS, it's quite easy.

Man I just asked the exact same question over at Spymac, and all the replies are about people bragging how quiet their iBooks and PowerBooks are, wtf is wrong with those people I didn't even mention a notebook. I swear talking to them is pointless, I wish they could hear my HP Notebook it has a Pentium 4M processor and the fan never comes on the only thing that makes a noise is the hard drive, that would shut them up.

The only fan in a standard G3 (Beige or B&W) or G4 (Yikes and Sawtooth) should be in the PSU.

I never found mine to be any louder than a x86 PSU.

Make sure the fan is clean of any dust and dirt.

If it's REALLY excessive, it's basically an ATX PSU (a couple of wires are different), and you can add a standard, quieter PC one

Hey KeR

I dont really know much about macs since i dont have one, but i know alot about PC's - and i dont see the big change in changing the fans since both are computers :rolleyes:

Well, if u have some extra fans (i can recommed the papst fans) u could take out the PSU and see what fan there is and if u have one that fits then change it (just be sure that it can cool it down as much as the standard one) or buy a new fan that fits and then change it?.

And is there a fan on the CPU profile? if so, then change it 2 or mod a big alu profile to fit on it (but again be carefull).

And if u are really cool, u could try to mod a water cooling system ?, buy a kit and mod it if u have the money :)

just my 50 cent -

Man I just asked the exact same question over at Spymac, and all the replies are about people bragging how quiet their iBooks and PowerBooks are, wtf is wrong with those people I didn't even mention a notebook. I swear talking to them is pointless, I wish they could hear my HP Notebook it has a Pentium 4M processor and the fan never comes on the only thing that makes a noise is the hard drive, that would shut them up.

Dur, my powerbook is really quiet :rolleyes:

...well actually it only is half the time

Have you looked at any of the fans in your case? If they're the standard sizes you might be able to replace them with FDB ones...I remember someone saying that mac fans had more wires going to them than PC fans so it takes a little work but that might not hold true for the G3s

Open your case up and have a look...could just be a dust problem, you never know till you try

Dur, my powerbook is really quiet :rolleyes:

...well actually it only is half the time

Today was one of the first times I've ever even heard the fan come on in my PowerBook, but then again, I was giving the CPU and drives a workout at the time. Downloading a movie, running a Par verification on another, and burning a third all at the same time. Too bad I didn't have a CPU temp program running, I would have loved to see what it got up to.

If you want to you can probably replace any fans inside your Mac with silent PC fans, in my old G4 it just had a big 120mm fan and a smaller one near the top.

why is it that everyone has to tell me how quiet their iBook fans and PowerBook fans are when that has absolutely nothing to do with my question? I don't even have a Mac Notebook I wish you guys could hear how quiet my HP notebook is with it's P4M processor, the fan is never on and its always cool then that would shut you up, I know for a fact that the Mac notebooks are loud and hot just try googling it and you'll see what I am talking about.