Airport Express support MAC Cloning?

Apple should be more detailed about those type of things. Nonetheless, does Airport Express support any type of MAC address cloning? Sometimes, you need to clone your laptop or desktop's MAC address for it to retrieve an ip address from ISP. I wonder if AirPort Express actually does that.

Thanks

Usually, MAC cloning isn't really necessary for this, it's just a convenience. For many cable modems, all you have to do is power off the modem and power it back on again. It will reset it's associated MAC address to whatever is hooked up to it. I know this works for the Motorola cable modems that Time Warner uses here. Even if you have to manually tell the ISP what MAC address is hooked up to the modem, what's stopping you from calling them and having them change the MAC address to the one for your AirPort Express? Simply tell them you had to get a different network card, and give them the MAC address for the AirPort Express when they ask for your new MAC address.

Same here, I either do the IP release from Command Prompt on my Windows computer or just power off my cable modem for 3 mins, resets the MAC address and the DHCP server gives me a new IP address (useful for switching IP's)

Hey guys.. if you can't answer my question, stop providing useless suggestions. THere are also other scenarios as well.

For example, in university network, admins assign MAC address with static ip address. So is in a lot of corporate environment. Thus MAC Address cloning is essential, not just optional.

Of course, for home users with cable modems, they can just power down and get another ip address based on whatever MAC address came with your Airport Express. However, that still fails to answer my question

Either way, that's not acceptable if airport express doesn't have that feature

I know that this still doesn't answer your question, but even if it doesn't support it couldn't you just call your support desk and inform them of the MAC address change? People get new computers and new network cards all the time. I know that my old university allowed you to change your MAC addy through and online form.

I know that this still doesn't answer your question, but even if it doesn't support it couldn't you just call your support desk and inform them of the MAC address change? People get new computers and new network cards all the time. I know that my old university allowed you to change your MAC addy through and online form.

Well, I see what you are saying, but that's not how it works in University of Michigan. You get a new network card, you pay for another $50 just get it online. Once again, MAC Address Cloning is essential

what's mac cloning :blink:?

It is not mac cloning. It is MAC address cloning.

It is a technique to use a router to authenticate as if your machine connects to the Internet directly. The router copies the MAC address from your machine and use it to get a pre-assigned static IP address.

It is basically a way to authenticate a machine to get online with router acting as middle man.

Well, I see what you are saying, but that's not how it works in University of Michigan. You get a new network card, you pay for another $50 just get it online. Once again, MAC Address Cloning is essential

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like UofM will find any excuse to get some extra money out of their students.

The exact amount is actually $59, but lets not get too derailed from the subject. The question remains "Does Apple AirPort Express support MAC address cloning?"

Maybe the question can only be answered once Apple starts shipping out the product to its cutomers.

smbusa11, I love the animation in your sig. That has to be one of my favorite parts of the movie, for obvious reasons. Too bad there were so many people walking across the screen in front of her, disrupting the view!!

:D