[IPOD] Confusion on 'Generations'

The latest Ipods (the ones currently for sale at http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?family=iPod are 15 / 20 / 40 gigs in size. On ebay, you can get the 30 gig models which are listed as 3rd Generation and are 'brand new and sealed'.

How can they be brand new if they arent on sale by Apple at that size? Are they a previous 'gen' of Ipod?

Sorry for the noob question, I dont really want to buy something that expensive and still have questions in my head about it.

Thanks.

Edited by forster

The 30GB model is a 3rd generation iPod with the touch buttons instead of click. I own the 3rd gen 30GB model, I just got it direct from Apple, refurbished model for $350. People on eBay can be selling brand new 30GB if they were never opened, but yes, they are 3rd gen. 3rd gen's come in 10GB, 15GB, 20GB, 30GB, or 40GB models. The 10GB and 30GB are discontinued models. I believe there are 10GB and maybe 20GB 2nd gen models as well. But for sure, the 30GB is 3rd gen. Since the UK just got iPods I think? you will only see the newer models, check out the US store and go down to Special deals and you'll see there is a 30GB model listed. Won't say which gen though.

Apple upped the drive size on the top of the range 3rd Generation iPod from 30GB to 40GB a year or so back.

It's highly possible that some places have new stock of the 30GB ones.

Thanks Martog, I'm going to name this generation '4th Gen' then, although its probably wrong (Y)

Im trying to stay away from eBay, even though the powersellers are selling them cheaper than Apple :pinch:

Since the UK just got iPods I think? you will only see the newer models

The UK just got the iTunes Music Store.

iPods were available from the first generation.

The UK just got the iTunes Music Store.

iPods were available from the first generation.

Hehe, I didn't know.

But really the current 40GB models are still 3rd gen iPods as they just upped the size, nothing else to warrent another gen bump.

1st Generation has a tactile scroll wheel and tactile buttons around the wheel. It's pretty chunky compared to the latest 3G iPod. It was first available in a 5G Mac version, then a 5G Windows version, then, for a short time, a 10G Mac version.

2nd Generation has a touch sensitive scroll wheel but tactile buttons around the wheel. They came in 10 and 20GB versions and are still Mac/Windows specific.

3rd Generation iPod has an all touch sensitive interface, the 4 button in a line button layout. It also has a dock connector instead of the firewire port and is thinner than the older generation iPods. I think the 3Gs are only 2/3 as thick as the 2G. They started at 10, 20 and 30GB models but received space bumps back in february along with the launch of the iPod mini to 15, 20 and 40GB versions. They're still 3G iPods but simply have updated model numbers.

So in answer to your question, the 30GBs you're seeing are probably new and definately latest generation iPod and all accessories, firmware and software compatible with "iPods with dock connectors" will be compatible with those iPods. Some people are probably just selling off excess stock of 30G 3Gs lying around.