How do visit your computer at home?

If your computer at home has connected to the Internet via your broadband, and if you have travelled to some city in the world, how will you visit the computer through the computer at an Internet cafe or at your hotel?

PS.

If the power of the computer at home gets cut and thereafter recovers, you will have to start your computer remotely. How do you make your telecommuting work?

You can use remote desktop if you have Windows XP. Just forward port 3389 to your PC. It also helps to get a dynamic DNS name. DynDNS is a good place to get dynamic DNS

the best thing that could happen to you that your home pc has a flatrate and a static ip. You just have to make sure that the connection doesn't die. In that case you could use remote desktop easily (as jeavis said).

Make sure that your pc restarts at blue screens and set auto login or find a way that your pc dials into internet at the login screen.

but when you have a dynamic ip things get a little tricky, you need a dns service(as jeavis said)

id on't know exactly how you handle it if the computer has just shut down due to power outage. I guess wake on lan will somehow do the trick (but only if you are behind a router that keeps you internet connection alive). But i don't really know how to do that....

I ssh into my linux box, then can remotely mount any of the drives of any of the other machines on my lan. Or if need be tunnel a rdp connection or vnc if I need desktop access.

Fast, Secure, Easy - why would you do it any other way? ;)

Yea, use RDP, but if you want to get real nice, also set up your computer as a webserver, and run the Web Remote Desktop package

a while ago on techtv they showed a thing that hooksup to your computer and a phone line, and you call your phone, dial a number, and the computer turns on or off

I ssh into my mac sometimes, and I use a combo of emails/applescripts and php scripts to let me control things from anywhere. PHP + Applescript is pretty cool.

I have my computer set to auto reboot after a power failure and it goes on and off at specific times, so it is always on when I need it.

post-32-1087536020.jpg