just received an iBook

Hey yall, I received a green iBook and was wondering if I can format it and update it like an xp pro desktop normal cpu & everything else buck standard pc?

At the minute it looks like os9, the cpu is 300mhz and there's 96MB Ram...

I haven't a baldy wtf I?m doing here so if someone could tell me how to make it work best with your basic OS & a Microsoft Office I?d really appreciate it.

Mike

Um... no you can't use Windows... if that's what you were trying to say, it's hard to understand you...

You could install Panther (OS X 10.3) on there but you'll need more RAM, and you probably won't have alot of HDD space left. There's Microsoft Office for Mac also.

But... to me it sounds like your best bet is to eBay the item unless you really want to devote some money into the machine.

Or you could donate the machine to someone that might want it :D *hopefull look?* :D

But yeah, Mac OS 9.2.2 is probably the only option you have until you beef up the ram in that laptop. MS Office 2001 for Mac is for OS 9.x, and Office X and 2004 for Mac are for OS X/10.x and higher (I think 2004 requires Panther, 10.3.x)

It sounds as though he wants to know if the iBook can be upgraded in the same way as a normal desktop PC. If that's the case, then you're probably only able to upgrade the memory and hard drive, the rest of the components are pretty much non-changeable. (Probably).

Man, you guys need to learn your macs. There is a way that you can put windows xp on a mac. Its called VIRTUAL PC. So its possible. but i dont know if it would work with those specs.

PC66 SoDIMMs and it's VERY easy. As you only have 1 slot, get as much as you can, preferably 512MB (which is the most you can add). Note that you may have 32MB onboard and 32MB on an SoDIMM, or 64MB onboard depending on the exact iBook

As regards VPC on a 300MHz iBook, it'll be slow as treacle.

It'd be kinda fun to play around with...I dunno that putting OSX on it would be worth it considering how old it is...unfortunate because thats where MACs really shine but what can you do?

If you're gonna keep it I'd definetly put that 512 in it (pretty cheap these days) and as for the OS...well thats up to you, either 9.2.2 or perhaps an early version of OSX (cuz you can get them for fairly cheap)

I dunno that putting OSX on it would be worth it considering how old it is...

as for the OS...well thats up to you, either 9.2.2 or perhaps an early version of OSX (cuz you can get them for fairly cheap)

You're better going for OS X 10.3.x as opposed to an older version, as it's far faster than the previous versions, especially on older, lower spec machines.

Most people reckon that it's as fast as 9.2.x in normal usage.

It's more than acceptable for lowend tasks such as Office, browsing, email, etc.