Phil Jackson OUT!?

I dont think they will lose Shaq. Maybe Kobe and/or Phil. Anyway, it is a bunch of oldies in that team. Payton didnt do anything more than a **** and was woeful in the finals. Malone spent half his time smoothing out Kobe and Shaq's fights. George/Fisher were ok. Rick Fox missed a lot of the games for the season. Luke only played well in the finals. All I can say is that San Antonio or Sacramento are going to come to the finals as Western Conference champions. :yes:

First of all, this isn't a surprise (or shouldn't be). Since February, this has been speculated, when Jackson and the Lakers stopped contract extension negotiations. The Lakers now are in shambles - they were only built for a title run this year. That's the main reason why GM Mitch Kupchak is trying to sound so convincing when he says that Kobe will stay; if Kobe doesn't stay, Kupchak will have committed a serious choke job. And I'm about 98.9% positive that Kobe does NOT want Phil Jackson back as coach. He would rather have a new coach in there who will let Kobe be Kobe (i.e. the offense runs through him, not Shaq). Obviously, Gary Payton won't want Phil back, that's a given.

So, it's either the Lakers keep Phil Jackson and Shaq, lose Kobe, Payton, and a bunch of bench players OR they lose Phil and keep Kobe and Payton...but Shaq won't want to stay.

My money is on Phil Jackson retiring, Kobe and Shaq staying in LA, and another season of arguing, crying, complaining, blaming...etc.etc.etc. If it were up to me and I was a Lakers fan, I would want Phil to retire, Shaq to stay in LA and Kobe to leave, Payton to re-sign, and the Lakers get something big for Kobe. But, Kupchack, in all his wisdom, said they won't trade Kobe; so... :laugh: more drama in LALA Land next year.

As for San Antonion or Sacramento winning the West next year...I would SERIOUSLY consider Minnesota for that as well. It's obvious they need a center to help out KG, but what happens if Shaq gets traded? Shaq was the only reason the TWolves didn't go to the Finals. And if Shaq does stay, there's a guy here with the Warriors, Erick Dampier, who will be a free agent and who outplayed Shaq several times last season. It will be interesting off-season, and I really don't see any guys in this year's draft who will be a difference maker like LeBron, Carmelo, or Dwayne Wade did this year.

*prays* god, please breakup the lakers.....go kings! heh

yes, me too. i am cheering for kings. i hope lakers break up now for good, i hope they don't even make the playoffs next year.

Why would Kobe and/or Shaq want to leave the Lakers. The other "contenders" don't have the cap room to sign either of those guys, or probably even trade for them. Additionally, why would they want to leave the Lakers and go to a worse team. I haven't seen the Clipper's contending for the title recently, hell, or the playoffs for the matter. I also can't see Shaq going to a team that is rebuilding...he is too old for that, and its something I don't think he'll be interested in.

It must be for the love of money that these guys are pondering leaving. The Laker's always reload for a title run every year and I don't see that changing anytime soon. More power to those guys if they want to leave LA, but its a bad career move if you ask me. When Kobe and Shaq are clicking, and the role players, whoever they might be, step up and help out, the Laker's will always be tough to beat. I do realize this is a big if and when type of statement, but still.

I think Jackson will retire. Shaq will stay in LA to finish off his career. Malone will either retire or go back to the Jazz for a year. Payton will play next year for another team. Kobe will play for another team as well. I think he will play for Memphis or another east team.

As for San Antonion or Sacramento winning the West next year...I would SERIOUSLY consider Minnesota for that as well. It's obvious they need a center to help out KG, but what happens if Shaq gets traded? Shaq was the only reason the TWolves didn't go to the Finals.

I was going to say Minnesota but I am waiting to see what Latrell Sprewell would do. He becomes a free agent at the end of the summer and it will be interesting to see what happens to Minn. then.

Why would Kobe and/or Shaq want to leave the Lakers. The other "contenders" don't have the cap room to sign either of those guys, or probably even trade for them

You, my friend, have not seen the ego between these two. They have gotten into numerous fights that have been publicized in newspapers and still traded jabs during the playoffs. That means that they wouldnt fight now because Phil isnt there. But you're right with the second point. That is why getting Payton and Malone for cheap was considered "a genius move". Unfortunately it didnt work in the finals where it mattered the most.

I think Jackson will retire. Shaq will stay in LA to finish off his career. Malone will either retire or go back to the Jazz for a year. Payton will play next year for another team. Kobe will play for another team as well. I think he will play for Memphis or another east team.

Kobe in the East would be amazing.

Well, just as I said yesterday about Mitch Kupchak saying the Lakers WILL NOT trade Kobe, today Shaq didn't show up for the end of season interview with management.

I'm telling you, one of them will be gone, and it looks like Shaq will be the one to leave. And it also shows the stupidity of the Lakers; it's no wonder all these guys want to leave. How can you trade the most dominate player in the game and keep a guy like Kobe, who can be replaced (scoring guards are alot more common than scoring centers). :no:

Someone asked why neither of them would want to stay? Simple. Look at what happened in the Finals. Shaq was unstoppable but Kobe had way more shot attempts. Kobe, obviously, isn't a team player. He may be good, but he's not going to lead a team to victory by himself. He's lucky to have played with Shaq up until now. And if the offense gets run through Shaq, Kobe complains and cries on the bench.

Maybe Tracy McGrady will re-sign with Orlando, the Magic then trade their #1 pick down and save cap room for Shaq after next season...you think McGrady wouldn't relish the opportunity to trade a scoring title for a NBA title? That would leave room for Kobe to get his beloved scoring title he seems to want so bad, and everyone is happy. Except the guy who has to pay the payroll for the Magic, hahahaha :laugh:

Maybe Tracy McGrady will re-sign with Orlando, the Magic then trade their #1 pick down and save cap room for Shaq after next season...you think McGrady wouldn't relish the opportunity to trade a scoring title for a NBA title? That would leave room for Kobe to get his beloved scoring title he seems to want so bad, and everyone is happy.

That all seems fine except I dont think McGrady will sign with Orlando. He might sign with the Spurs or Kings and boost that team. Then it will be interesting to see what can be done.

As for Shaq, he wont leave the Lakers not this season. He cant and wont. He cannot exercise the free agency option until the end of the next season.

Phil Jackson will not return to the Los Angeles Lakers next year for the 2004-2005 Season. This decision coming after only three days after the Lakers lost the NBA Championship to the Detroit Pistons. Jackson's five-year, $30 million dollar contract expires at the end of the month. A release statement should come out later in the week. Jackson joined up with the Lakers in 1999 and led the team to 4 championships, also giving the Lakers their first Championship in 12 years.

Jackson dominated the NBA coaching world with an overall record of 832-316 in his career, which is a .725 winning percentage, best in NBA history. Jackson set more records in his career with 175 playoff wins and a .717 winning percentage which were both tops among NBA coaches. Jackson leaves the Lakers at the age of 58.

The news keeps getting worse, as expected Kobe Bryant has opted his contract now becoming an unrestricted free agent. Such players as Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Derek Fisher could also follow Bryant's lead and opt their contracts as well.

-Peabody