iPod Help!11!1

My friends iPod for no reason at all's HDD is corrupt (I think) I plug it in to a Windows Computer and it freezes trying to read it. I ran HDD Scan on the iPod and it hasn't been able to finish yet. I tried 5 in 1 with no luck. How can I fix this with out sending to Apple?

to sum it all up, I get teh little folder with the ! on it.

post-96-1087535926.jpg

the iPod updater program should wipe the drive and reset the ipod with the latest firmware and such. Make sure you get the right one for the right iPod, I believe the click wheel's use the old updater, like version 1.x, while the touch wheel iPod's and iPod mini's use the newer update, 2.x

This is a 20GB 3G iPod. I cant get the updater to work because the computer restarts after actuallly reading the iPod. Maybe I should go in to DOS and try formatting it with FAT32 then using teh updater to format.

My friends iPod for no reason at all's HDD is corrupt (I think) I plug it in to a Windows Computer and it freezes trying to read it. I ran HDD Scan on the iPod and it hasn't been able to finish yet. I tried 5 in 1 with no luck. How can I fix this with out sending to Apple?

to sum it all up, I get teh little folder with the ! on it.

was his ipod for mac or windows originally? osx can read windows ipods, but windows can't read osx ipods (thanks microsoft!). it takes a lot of patience to get an osx ipod reformatted to work on windows.

was his ipod for mac or windows originally? osx can read windows ipods, but windows can't read osx ipods (thanks microsoft!). it takes a lot of patience to get an osx ipod reformatted to work on windows.

It always been windows. Err every time I plug this thing in, after windows finally figures out what it is the computer freezes and restarts

you can restore the ipod without attaching it to a computer, I can't remember how it works something about putting the hold button on and then pressing the play and menu button at the same time for 10 seconds.

you can restore the ipod without attaching it to a computer, I can't remember how it works something about putting the hold button on and then pressing the play and menu button at the same time for 10 seconds.

thats resetting the iPod. That doesn nothing to the harddrive. Anyways im running the built in iPod's HDD scan (most people dont kno how to do this nor should they)

once you do a soft reset as its booting up hold the middle button the skip back and the skip forward button it enters the secret engineer menu where you can do formats, scans, and other stuff. In the older firmware you could even record sound through the left earphone (no the earphone don't have a mic in it they just reverse the direction of the power making it change from a speaker to a mic)

once you do a soft reset as its booting up hold the middle button the skip back and the skip forward button it enters the secret engineer menu where you can do formats, scans, and other stuff. In the older firmware you could even record sound through the left earphone (no the earphone don't have a mic in it they just reverse the direction of the power making it change from a speaker to a mic)

You cannot format, I have tried.