Apple Gear in Australia

never before since the Apple IIe's they had at my primary school have i really used a mac... simply coz after that everything i touched was windows based.

now im having a change of heart... kinda.

i want to buy a 20GB iPod and an AirPort Express.

problem one: i live in australia.

problem two: i've got no idea where to start.

any aussies out there? any advice on the best place to buy? im going to be in melbourne next week so any hints to retail stores down there that might be able to do me a good deal, on atleast an iPod and possibly the AirPort Exp. as well? Is the apple website store about the best price i will get? or will i be able to get a deal somewhere else?

thanks in advance for the help, look foward to hearing from a heap of aussies some time soon.

sesh

The best discount you can get in Australia is the edu discount I believe, so try get it through that. Airport Express is supposed to come out mid-july in Australia, note I say supposed to.

Dunno about stores doing good deals, I'd just go for the edu if you can. :)

thanks for the info on the AirPort... can you get an edu discount on an iPod? i wouldn't think so... but yeah, i don't know...

anyone else?

OK. The education pricing is indeed cheaper than regular pricing. It's usually 8-12% cheaper. When I bought my 20G iPod it was 563 down from 599 because of the education discount.

Best bet is to take in your student card. David Jones and Target stores both sell iPods so you might want to see whether they do the Apple education discount. If not head to an Applecentre.

Also, pick up a copy of Australian MacWorld from your local newsagent. They have ads you can go through to check for good prices.

thanks guys.

i checked out the education thing... but i don't think im eligable as a Year 12 student, the only catergories i can find is "K-12 Teacher" and "Tertiary Teacher or Student" which unfortunatly i am neither.

does anyone have personal experience with any stores in the melbourne cbd or bendigo area? wheres a good place to go other than those already mentioned?

sesh

there's one on Elizabeth Street, another one on Flinders Street.

or if you wanna buy online:

www.macmall.com.au

www.streetwise.com.au

:)

If you want, ask your school if they have a mac account and try and see if they'll get it for you. I know the admin at our school so i'm getting the airport express thru him.

thats an awesome idea, but im pretty sure they wont... we have nothing at all mac at our school... plus our sys admin (my former cisco teacher - who we used to call poofy peat) doesn't really like me on a whole lot of levels. lol.