What is alg.exe

• 9 months later...
thanks for bringing up an old topic that was answered a year ago

585698794[/snapback]

thanks for not contribuing at all to the thread.

big deal if he rehashes an old topic. Just answer the question and keep such comments to yourself.

If the post is still accessible on the forums it says something.

Moderators/Administrators can deem when its necessary to delete an old topic...or at least they should.....

If you are running SP2, you can disable this service. This is what BlackViper (www.blackviper.com - 2000/XP/2003 services authority) has to say about it:

Application Layer Gateway Service

Before the installation of Service Pack 2, this service was required for use with the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing * service. After the installation of Service Pack 2, it no longer is required.

Default XP Home: Manual

Default XP Pro: Manual

Safe Setting: Manual

Service name (registry): ALG

Dependencies:

What service Application Layer Gateway Service needs to function properly:

None

What other service require Application Layer Gateway Service to function properly:

None

And here are his recommendations:

Safe: Manual

Power User: Disabled

Bare Bones: Disabled

Me? I have it disabled. I use Internet Connection Sharing, and Zone Alarm firewall. I have not experienced anything bad from turning it off.

so if i'm sharing an internet connection, will disabling alg.exe cause any of the pc's on my network not be able to access the internet?

585698852[/snapback]

it shouldnt cause any problems.

Just make sure you are on Service Pack 2.

Cheers for pulling this back up.  I didn't realise i could disable this after sp2.  Well done  :p

585698865[/snapback]

i guess we should be shunned for bringing up a year old topic. Because its now helping someone it wasnt supposed to.

Thats why the mods and admins keep posts like these alive.