1. 1. what is your favorite linux O.S

• Redhat
    • Mandrake
    • Lindows
    • Suse
    • ArkLinux

My favorite Linux OS is GNU.

My favorite kernel for GNU is Linux.

Perhaps you meant my favorite distribution of GNU/Linux? I answered RedHat/Fedora. :shifty:

This has been discussed several times before...

The answer depends on what you want to use the system for.

I'll agree..there just is no clear-cut answer to this question

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say, if you are new, you should go with Mandrake. Its an excellent distro that is very available. Also, this thread is in the wrong forum. You're new here, so probably not that big of a deal, but try and save the mods the head ache of moving your thread around, and start taking advantage of the search features of this board (less you make enemies and disgruntals).

Get any one of the above distro's ( I used Suse ) and then use this for the build of an LFS system :D

Edit: Oh yeh, and why isn't Debian an option? Its easy to manage

wich linux distro is like an windows XP home edition!!! Without Bugs I mean!!!!

XP is not "without bugs" :pinch:

If you just want something quick and easy on once CD, I would recommend Knoppix.

It is a LiveCD, so it will boot off the CD and you can run Linux right away without installing it to your hard drive. If you like it, you can install it to your drive, or pick another distro that you think you might want to try.

Of the ones you listed, my favorite is not among them (Gentoo), so I elected to choose Redhat/Fedora. I recently installed Fedora Core 2 and must say that the Fedora team has done a fantastic job. I have some pretty up to date hardware, and I had no problems whatsoever during the install. (I use SATA for my primary boot drive, have a nForce2 mainboard, and an Ati Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card.) It runs great too.

a) It's a bad poll with limited choices.

b) It's in the wrong section

c) It's been done before

d) Even if the above three didn't apply, it's silly to make a choice based on popularity rather than needs

arite well i searched thru tha guides forum n didn find any guide fer this... so i wus jus wonderin what you people suggest for a beginner.. cuz well thers no point in askin what u like if ur not gonna give a reason fer it.. so yeah.. i wanted to dl..but wen i saw all tha distributions.. well i kinda panicked.. so sum help wud b appreciated.. jus on what should b used and why..for a beginner..thanks :)

arite well i searched thru tha guides forum n didn find any guide fer this... so i wus jus wonderin what you people suggest for a beginner.. cuz well thers no point in askin what u like if ur not gonna give a reason fer it.. so yeah.. i wanted to dl..but wen i saw all tha distributions.. well i kinda panicked.. so sum help wud b appreciated.. jus on what should b used and why..for a beginner..thanks :)

I'd go with Mandrake or Fedora, they're both pretty user friendly and easy to install.