ADSL connection sharing

Hi, I have a couple (maybe slightly more) questions about sharing my ADSL internet connection between two computers. I have limited experience when it comes to networking, so please bear with me if I make any mistakes...

I have two PC's in the house currently, with one of them being connected to the internet via a USB boardband modem (Alcatel Speed Touch USB, to be precise), which was supplied to us by Freeserve (now Wanadoo) when we signed up.

Now the problem is, I also have my University computer, which I also want to be able to access the net on. As I understand it, this will not be possible using my current modem as it has no ethernet connection (unless I use Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing or whatever it's called, which I understand I can't, as the main net machine runs win98SE, and my pc is on XP Home. Regardless, I would like the extra security of useing a stand-alone hardware router). So, I need to get a new modem and/or a router, I believe.

Now I understand form some searching on the net that some/many routers come with ADSL modems built in, so if I bought one of these routers, there would be no need to purchase an additional broadband modem, which is good. I am also interested in the possibility of a wireless network, as my Uni PC would be a fair distance from the old pc, making cabling a nightmare.

So, I went on the net again and had a look at wireless routers. It seems I can get a router with 4 physical ethernet ports, wireless access point, built in ADSL modem and firewall for around ?60-?100. Then I assume I just need to connect the ethernet port on the old pc to one of the router's ethernet ports, install a PCI wireless networking card (about ?20, I have found?) in my Uni PC, and connect the router to my phone line...

If what I have said so far is all true, then great, I have only one small question. When we installed and set up our broadband connection several years ago, we were given the Alcatel Modem, as I mentioned earlier. Now, when we want to go on the net, we click an icon specific to the alcatel modem. I believe it relates to a connection in Control Panel-> Network. Would my new setup require much reconfiguration of these connection settings to use the new router/modem to connect? Or is it fairly well automated?

Feel free to ask me further questions about my current setup/what I am aiming for, if I have not clearly expalained it here.

And finally, any good advice on routers/modems/PCI wireless cards would be much appreciated, as there seem to be a great number to choose from, which is a little overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Ian

You are right - a wireless ASDL modem would be able to suit your needs in the setup you describe. As for the setting up of the ASDL connection with the router, I've never done this and so will leave you to someone who is more experienced...

DSL routers are a doddle to setup. Plug them into the phone line, connect via network connection, either WiFi or RJ45 cable. Type the router IP address into the web browser and type in the account details for you broadband. Save and thats it up and running. Well at least for me, you learn come back and tweak things later.

Im currently using a Netgear DG834 its not a wireless router but you can get a wireless version.

Its got a built in modem, 4 RJ45 ports etc. What you are after is a DSL router they have the intergrated modems.

Edited by Digital Pimp

I would still opt for a wired network... You could just use one computer as a "server" and route the connection using ICS (internet connection sharing) or a proxy like the one from AnalogX -- thats just my opinion... Wired networks are much faster/cheaper/more reliable than wireless ones...

Also, I was recently told that a new wireless standard, named WiMAX should be coming soon which could render WiFi obselete... It's probably just hype, but WiFi won't last forever and I'd be VERY careful before shelling out large amounts of cash on wireless standards that are changing every few months...

Thanks for the advice everyone, I feel much better informed now. I just have one more question: Does anyone know of any router brands/models which have a USB port for a USB ADSL modem? By this I mean routers which do not have a modem built in, ones which are just a router/switch/firewall...

I think I am still going to go wireless on one of the pc's, despite [jon]'s advice, as it really would be very hard to wire this second pc where it is. However, I am moving into a new house in October and would probably revert to a wired network then, so not much lost in the long run.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian

Hello, still would appreciate any recommendations on brands/products... Netgear seem to be very popular, but I've yet to find exactly what I want. Although this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...ProductID=91316

seems pretty good... It had the built in ADSL modem I need, plus 54g wireless access point (backwardly compatible with 11Meg 'b' spec peripherals) and a 4 port LAN switch... What do people think? Worth it at ?72.79? Seems reasonable to me... Let me know please! =)

Peace.

No Router i have seen has a USB port on. Some that dont have a modem built in require a more expensive separate DSL modem using an RJ45 connector

Seems an ok device, the Netgear DG834g is a nice wireless modem/router unit. To my knowledge all wireless router are backwards compatible to any slower standards.

Edited by Digital Pimp

One other bit of advice stick with the major manufacturers, Dlink, Netgear, Belkin. Dont be swayed by the cheap units you might spot, not worth it in the long run. Example i found a ?40 unit at ebuyer, kept loosing connection all the time.

Yes, I did notice bad reviews on units from manufacturers other than those 3, but thanks for the advice, I'd hate to finally buy this thing, then find that it doesn't work! Also, wireless network cards for my desktop I plan to connect wirelessly with? Same brands still good? What kinds of prices are reasonable? And is it better to opt for a PCI card, rather than these usb 'key' style adapters?

Cheers.

try to stick with the big boys, but guess it depends on your budget. Dont really have any first had experience with WiFi gear. The PCI cards tend to have a larger antennea, but USB is USB, check out some reviews. If it were me id probably go with USB then you can move them around without much fuss.

Prices ?20 - ?40 per unit, check out microdirect.co.uk you will also find the mentioned router fairly cheaply there

**** Update *****

There is always the desktop USB gear as opposed to the USB sticks. Get about the same sort of antennea, just a large box to put on your desk

Edited by Digital Pimp

awesome, I will. Cheers.

If anyone else has got some experience with this and can give me any advice on the PCI/usb thing, that'd be helpful too...

Also, does anyone think there's any great advantage to be gained by having the same brand of wireless network card and router? I am pretty sure I am going to plump for the Netgear DG834g, but it seems the cheapest I can find a 802.11g wireless card from Netgear is ?40-45 for PCI and USB... However, it seems I can pick up a Belkin 802.11g card for ?30-35...

Also, does anyone here actually use the DG834g, as I've read quite a few reviews complaining about it dropping connection frequently and needing a hard reset... They all blame it on the firmware, not the hardware, so have Netgear reently released new firmware to fix any problems, or is it still buggy? Would a non-Netgear alternative be more reliable?