Speed boot?

Out of interest does anyone here disable there themes for better performance? or is the gain that small you may aswell leave the themes on?

Out of interest does anyone here disable there themes for better performance? or is the gain that small you may aswell leave the themes on?

586384293[/snapback]

Yes I disable themes....its a big difference between disable and not disable....and personally I don't find windows classic theme too bad actually.

I disable everything that is not needed, althought my boot time is not 10seconds, it is very reasonable (something lik 25-30seconds) however my operational speed is very fast :D

Check out my desktop in my signature :)

1. Disable unnecessary services

2. Upgrade all system drivers

3. Disable unnecessary hardware

4. Run bootvis tool

5. Disable unnecessary things from BIOS (MIDI ports, IDE etc)

6. If you have a shtty system, upgrade that. Dont expect a 10s boot up on a P1 133Mhz =/

my specs are

athlon 64 3000 ( 939 newcastle)

asus a8n-fm pci-e nforce4 socket 939

512mb ddr 400mhz hyundai ram

80gb sata ( master )

80gb IDE ( slave )

ati x700pro pci-e

onboard sound

win xp home sp2.

Someone here at Neowin gave me this. I'm sorry I forget who. Just so you know I didn't think it up myself.

"Disable auto detection for empty IDE slots

Another quick trick for a faster boot up is to disable the auto detection that Windows XP uses to determine if there are IDE devices present in any of the IDE slots on the motherboard. More specifically, disable this feature on any empty slots to prevent the operating system wasting time and resources checking them.

Right click on 'my computer' and select 'properties.' Go to the 'hardware' tab and select 'device manager' to open the device management window.

Expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and highlight the 'primary IDE channel.' Right click the highlighted entry and select 'properties.' Go to the 'advanced settings' tab.

If either IDE slot on the controller is empty, the 'device type' dropdown box will be not grayed out. Set it to 'none' to disable auto detection of IDE devices on that particular slot.

Repeat the above steps for the 'secondary IDE controller.'

Note that if you wish to add a new IDE device, you will have to reset the 'device type' setting to 'autodetect' in order for Windows to use the new drive."

maybe you can try this

1.configure start-up using msconfig

2.disable unused port

3.stop unused services

4.cleaned prefetch folder

or if you like you can set to clear pagefile on shutdown(faster when booting)

my computer boot\shutdown faster than hibernate :happy:

well that just my opinion...

Stop being so hostile.

2328787[/snapback]

as apposed to the passive aggressive remark that sparked his hostile reply?

:blink:

on topic - just use bootvis like they say, and buy a good, fast hard disk. and make suer you have lots o' RAM in your system.

try this i got this from some other site:

back up registry!!! b4 going on

How To Speed Up Windows Xp Startup

Want to speed up Windows XP startup? Here is the trick: make your system do a boot defragment. This will put all the boot files next to one another on your hard disk. When boot files are in close proximity to one another, your system will start faster.

On most systems, boot defragment should be enabled by default, but it may not be on yours, or it may have been changed inadvertently. To make sure that boot defragment is enabled on your system, run regedit.exe from the Run dialog box.

Find this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

Edit the Enable string value to Y if it is not already set to Y.

Exit regedit.exe and then restart your computer.

How To Speed Up Windows Shutdown

Here is another registry tweak which useful to speed up Windows shutdown. To do so, click the Start button > Run > and type "regedit.exe". Browse this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control

Click on the Control folder and in the right hand window you will see this key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout". Double click that key and set it to 200.

Close regedit.exe and then restart your computer.

I think this will help not sure:

How To Speed Up Application Load Times

This registry tweak also may effect the loading times of your most frequently launched applications. Run regedit.exe and then find this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters]

Change the value of EnablePrefetcher, from its default setting of which is 3 to 5, and then restart your computer.. It gives the prefetcher system more system resources to prefetch application data for faster load times.

This registry tweak also may effect the loading times of your most frequently launched applications. Run regedit.exe and then find this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters]

Change the value of EnablePrefetcher, from its default setting of which is 3 to 5, and then restart your computer.. It gives the prefetcher system more system resources to prefetch application data for faster load times.

This is a crap recommendation. The prefetcher only accepts values of 1, 2 or 3. An invalid setting may effectively turn prefetching off, slowing boot and application startup.

How To Speed Up Windows Xp Startup[/b]

Find this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

Edit the Enable string value to Y if it is not already set to Y.

Thats the default setting

How To Speed Up Windows Shutdown

Here is another registry tweak which useful to speed up Windows shutdown. To do so, click the Start button > Run > and type "regedit.exe". Browse this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control

Click on the Control folder and in the right hand window you will see this key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout". Double click that key and set it to 200.

this can lead to data loss

This is a bogus tweak wich do nothing, Valid values:

1 means to prefetch boot processes only.

2 means prefetch applications only

3 means prefetch both

• 4 weeks later...

try this guide.......

open notepad

then type these "del c:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-*.* /q" (without quote)

save this file in .bat format with whatever name you want (for example "ntosboot.bat")

then run gpedit.msc go to

Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

choose "Shutdown" and browse for your .bat file click ok

this script will be used everytime you shut down your computer

try this guide.......

open notepad

then type these "del c:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-*.* /q"  (without quote)

save this file in .bat format with whatever name you want (for example "ntosboot.bat")

then run gpedit.msc go to

Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

choose "Shutdown" and browse for your .bat file click ok

this script will be used everytime you shut down your computer

586573017[/snapback]

What does this do? Clean out th e prefetch folder every time you shutdown?

This will make application launch times and boot time slower! Yet another prefetch myth is that cleaning out the prefetch folder does something useful. On the contrary, it temporarily slows down app launch times! Xp also prunes the prefetch folder automatically when it reaches a few hundred entries (can't remember the exact value).

What does this do?  Clean out th e prefetch folder every time you shutdown?

This will make application launch times and boot time slower!  Yet another prefetch myth is that cleaning out the prefetch folder does something useful.  On the contrary, it temporarily slows down app launch times!  Xp also prunes the prefetch folder automatically when it reaches a few hundred entries (can't remember the exact value).

586573230[/snapback]

You're perfectly right raskren :p

One could also try CCleaner to get rid of all the old prefetch data ( more than 15 days old and unused )

Regards

N.A.R.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys!

I am interesting in making my windows boot _fast_ as the installation will be used on a htpc.

What and how do you go about making windows boot super fast?

TIA

2323333[/snapback]

:yes: I haven't gone threw reading them all

but, there is away don't even know if its been mention,

go to control panel.

click on control panel.

click on icon system properties or system both same

click on advanced tab,

scroll down ,

click on Startup Recovery tab Settings

when that opens

u will see in there System Startup 30 second or what ever your number is

put it too 15 seconds,

if u want to go lower do it on your own risk make it 10 seconds not recomended to put on 5 sec.

then click on Edit tab, u will see TimeOut 30 or what ever your numbers at

change only number do not remove nothing else

change that timeout to 15 seconds.

it will boot fast enough

click on the X box on top right hand corner

it will say u want to save

say yes

then apply

and okay

close up

I tried all that stuff

not fast the 15 secons

hope it works for u as it did for me

I learned that myself :yes: ;) :rofl: :D :) :happy:

Edited by Stufff Itt1

This sets the timeout value when you have mutiple entries in boot.ini (I.e. two operating systems). Altering this value will not speed up boot time on a single boot system.