How much ram should I use in the Powerbook?

I'm getting 1gb minimum. Would it be pointless to get 1.5gb?

Yeah.

I have 1GB in my PowerBook and have never seen it use more than ~700MB.

Yeah.

I have 1GB in my PowerBook and have never seen it use more than ~700MB.

I have 768 and I've never seen it use more than 500 :cool:

It always leaves a little bit inactive and pages everything else

768 on OSX is like 512 on winXP

Depends on your usage. For me, i have 1.5Gb (albeit on a PowerMac) but i would like more... I usually like to leave my apps open (well if they are of use to me that is), for the moment i have 19 apps open.

The big resource hog I"ll be using is VirtualPC running Windows 2000 Pro. That's why I thought more ram would be useful. That way I can dedicate more ram to the VPC program, and it'll run smoother.

The big resource hog I"ll be using is VirtualPC running Windows 2000 Pro.  That's why I thought more ram would be useful.  That way I can dedicate more ram to the VPC program, and it'll run smoother.

i don't think it would help you enough to justify the cost. the big problem with vpc is the cpu, not the ram. might change with vpc7, but i doubt it.

1gb for the pbook, 512 for vpc.

Do you void the warranty by installing ram?

i don't think so, but apple won't replace or test or etc any third party ram, so take it out before you send it in, just in case ;)

The big resource hog I"ll be using is VirtualPC running Windows 2000 Pro.  That's why I thought more ram would be useful.  That way I can dedicate more ram to the VPC program, and it'll run smoother.

you only need 192 megs for VPC, unless of course you are doing some photoshopping or gaming in there, in which case you probably shouldnt buy the powerbook.

Edit: you can upgrade ram and airport on all macs, bt if you go any deeper on anything other than a powermac, BAM!!!, your warranties void.

That's a beautiful thinking. I'd kiss ya. :p

They don't have any seals inside that break to alert them that you've opened it, do they?,

nope.

Okay. The regular 15inch PowerBooks come with 512MB of RAM. Even upgrading to 768MB will lead you to seeing a HUGE difference in performance. 1GB? PSHH! You'll be flying my friend!

Add enough ram so that yuo will use it all. Ram is not efficient when not being used, so why get much more than will be full? Unless, ofcourse you think that you will use up nearly 1.5 Gigs of ram. In that case go for it.

Four screws to undo the RAM panel, then just slide it in and snap it down. Simple as that.

As crazy as it sounds, I have 768MB and I feel cramped. Of course, I web browse, photoshop, bbedit, and have a bunch of random menubar apps running, so more memory would help in my case :)

Personally, I think 1GB will be good for VPC, but the more the better if you can afford it reasonably.

im not a mac expert, but im pretty sure that you can never go wrong with more ram. also, imo, i would rather have more ram and no pagefile at all.