Home Network driving me nuts

Well the original problem was getting it to work on an old laptop - i put fixing that aside...

i wanted to share a folder on my computer between the network and followed the XP guide, i saved the file to disk and put it in the other laptop. I then followed the steps until it asks for network. It gave the option of the ethernet card and not the wifi, never the less we tryed...

an error occured sayin it could not detect all hardware, well its all setup correctly, as the D-link manual wanted..

i just dont understand why this is happening? surely it should be simple set up router, ethernet and cards, connect all computers to internet and follow the XP ....

Well since trying that my brother can no longer connect to the internet via the router...

it should connect fine, but now it is trying to dial up a connection - and i checked the internet settings to ensure it was going to work...

thiis network has me confused.....

thiis network has me confused.....

I feel your pain - your post has my head spinning :)

From what I can tell - you had a working network? And you wanted to share a folder - you then proceeded to hose it up, by trying to follow some instructions you did not understand?

And now you want us to help you fix it - with no information other than it doesn't work.

lmao, that was qutie a skillfully put together post, unlike mine, well any of mine...

im a network n00b...

heres the deal..

i got a D-link router, one ethernet cable and 4 wifi cards.

i opened the manual, followed the installation instructions, step by step.

All computers but one were seen by the router, the one in question is an old laptop - so i put it aside for the mean time..

My desktop is connected to the router Via ethernet, i guess you could call this the main station of the network, network admin (me)

The 2 other laptops are my Mums and Bro's, there on wireless, my mums computer installed no problem what so ever, however there was a small problem with my brother compurter to begin with - some problem to do with his settings, thats now sorted.

so all three computers have been working fine, they are all using the router to connect to the internet..

the router is been using for nothing else what so ever, i did ultimately want to create a cool home network, having me as admin.

i want to be able to select a specific folder for which i want to be shared by all the computers - for things like music and videos, the occasional back up etc.. etc...

To do this i knew that XP had a wizard, so i went to network settings, and then to create a new network, i then followe the instuctions for a home network, filled in my computer name etc, selected the hardware to use, and everything was sweet, it then asked me to put a floppy into the drive so that i could copy the network settings, i did this and then put it into my brothers computer - the same wizard opened, i followed the instructions as before, however when it came to selecting the network hardware i could only see the ethernet, because my bro's computer is on wireless i thought i would see the wireless... so i clicked ignore and it would not continue, so i selected ethernet, and again it wouldnt let me get any further..

since doing this my brother has become unable to access the internet via the wireless...

I am left connected to the internet, and so is my mum, my brother is not..

so what can i do? i *think* i followed all the instructions carefully, and accurately, but it seems my brothers computer is playing up, he wont allow me to format it, so i really have no clue....

So some one, PLEASE HELP

Toke

ok one of the problems has been sorted, i dont know how exaclty i fixed it but i took out all the hardware on my brothers wiifi, and reconnected it, i then went back through the configuration...

So how can i get a shared folder/drive?

@xXTOKERXx - You can right click on My Computer and go to Map Network Drive, or you can open My Computer and go to TOOLS, then Map Network Drive. Where is says Drive, choose the letter for the drive you are mapping. Where it says folder you need:

\\<server_computername>\<drive letter> and the dollar symbol.

EX: \\server_computername\D$

If its a folder, you can do the same, but you need to type the name of the folder instead of the drive letter.

EX: \\server_computername\documents

Remember that on the computer you are sharing a folder, you need to right click on the folder, and go to Sharing and Security and set it up.

Sharing Drives and Folders With Windows XP

Windows XP Home Edition : Sharing Disks / Folders

Windows XP Professional : Sharind Disks / Folders

I hope this helps you

:D

Edited by EZRecovery