Old Skool Mac Owners running Panther...

I am interested to hear from people using 'Old skool' Mac's running Mac OS X Panther. By Old skool I DO NOT mean, monochrome displays and all... but machines, which fall to the bottom of Panthers recommended specs.

The reason is, i have my iBook, which i upped the RAM (Now 320Mb) today. However I am still having the SAME issues i had before with 128Mb.

I've posted also in the particular discussion forms over @ apple, but feedback from a few guys here I know are using Panther, would be appreciated...

The scenario is - (copied from my initial post when i had 128Mb)

Hi people, i am REALLY hoping you guys can help me out. I bought an iBook this week. (366MHz / 128Mb / 10Gb / FireWire) It came with Mac OS 9.1, but well I've only ever used OS X since Puma, so naturally i wasn't looking to use Classic OS for too long. I popped in my Panther CD, hit restart, and the new boot screen came up, then the spin wheel type thing beneath the apple logo appeared, span about 2 rotations, then froze. I left the machine a good 30mins or so, and it had infact froze like i suspected. I had to pull the battery to get the machine off again. Anyhow, i've tried several times to get Panther installed, but to no avail. Since then, i remembered i had Puma and Cheetah upgrade CD's, so i tried those.

Puma installed perfectly, and i've today upgraded to Cheetah (10.1 for those not familiar with old codenames!). Cheetah is running fine, but well, its not Panther, nor will it run SubEthaEdit for example. I hoped i could try upgrading from Cheetah to Panther, but the same problem occurs. I've reset the PRAM a few times, as well as made sure i have the latest firmware 4.17f4.

I really am beginning to wonder if or rather HOW i can get Panther onto this machine. I also have a G5. As an alternative method, i thought, maybe I can dump Panther from this machine to that, possibly? I've been using Carbon Copy Clone, and my iPod as a target. I checked 'repair permissions' on source and 'make bootable' for the target, and had it clone the System folder. It did so, and then i plugged my iPod into my iBook, held down option, and surprise surprise 'G5' was there as a volume (Panther on the iPod). I selected it, and hit continue. The boot screen came up, and 'bam', it froze on the spin wheel again.

Can anyone help, i really REALLY would appreciate it, i feel i've spent far too many hours on something I really can't see an answer too!! :(

Thanks for reading, appreciated

My questions are to those who have installed Panther on systems which fall little below recommended / minimal specs, for Panther - Did you have problems, what were they, how did you overcome them? I really CANNOT stick using OS 9 anymore... I either get Panther on here, or i gotta get Rid... I'd rather use Windows Me! :laugh:

I have had the same problem took me some trying to get it to work, the way I got it to install was; I booted from the OS X 10.1 cd once the installer screen came up I quit it restarted without turning off the mac and booted with a OS X 10.3 cd and it installed just fine.

I've installed Panther on a 233 iMac, a G4/500 Wallstreet, and a couple of Beige G3's.

All went smoothly.

I assume it's the original Panther CD's you are using?

Have you tried them on another Mac?

No problems at all on either of my machines (specs in my sig). I'd say that both of them fall into the "Old Skool" category.

have you tried xpostfacto?

and you can't use carbon copy cloner, as that copies system files, like drivers and what not, straight across. it wouldn't be pretty if it worked.

edited to include link for xpostfacto.

Edited by oik

have you tried xpostfacto?

and you can't use carbon copy cloner, as that copies system files, like drivers and what not, straight across. it wouldn't be pretty if it worked.

edited to include link for xpostfacto.

He shouldn't need XPostFacto on that machine. It is supported by Panther.

Have you tried putting the iBook in target disk mode (start up while holding T), then connecting to the G5 with a firewire cable, you can then boot up the G5 from the panther cd and install it onto the iBooks hdd, when its all done and installed turn off the iBook and see if it will boot.

Have you tried putting the iBook in target disk mode (start up while holding T), then connecting to the G5 with a firewire cable, you can then boot up the G5 from the panther cd and install it onto the iBooks hdd, when its all done and installed turn off the iBook and see if it will boot.

That would still have the problem of having system files for a G5 desktop installed on a G3 notebook, which is essentially what he had when he used the iPod.

I have had the same problem took me some trying to get it to work, the way I got it to install was; I booted from the OS X 10.1 cd once the installer screen came up I quit it restarted without turning off the mac and booted with a OS X 10.3 cd and it installed just fine.

I have the Cheetah CD, and Puma upgrade CD, i'll try just that.

Target Firewire i don't think is an option for these iBooks, but i only have one FireWire cable, and thats the iPod one, which has the dock connector on the end! :p

I've used the 10.3 CD before... In truth, out of frustration i downloaded an ISO for 10.3.4 CD 1. That did the same thing too, so i know its NOT my CD... :(

I am really loosing interest in this now... :(

Thanks for all your ideas, keep them coming if anything springs to mind... I'm gonna try what Ker suggested...

Ok that was a no go. Ker, when i quit the installer it restarted the Mac... :(

Its worth noting that when i do put in a Panther CD, and begin booting, there's little disk activity, and the spin-wheel stops at a moment when there seems to be NO Optical drive activity and little to none Hard Disc activity. :| (compared to major optical access (obviously) for earlier iterations of Mac OS X.)

~~NeYo~~, I'm starting to think that you managed to get a REALLY flakey iBook! One thing you might want to try is run DiskWarrior on the iBook's hard drive, if you have it, or a similar hard drive utility. You might also want to run the hardware test CD if you have it. It may be that you have something not quite right, hardware wise, in there (maybe the RAM?).

well I put my Panther cd into my my old crappy iBook G4 1 GHZ and it worked fine, ahah jk dont shoot me!

Pssh! :p

Roadwarrior, i think you are spot on mate... It really doesn't seem like I can do alot more, if I TRIED! :( I had the same feeling myself...I don't really want to have to get rid of it (plus i'm not 100% sure) how to sell on eBay! :laugh: I've only ever bought stuff... But I think i might have to... :(

You forgot to mention it doesn't work properly... :ninja:

It works with the included software! ;) ...Also works as well (well better now with MORE RAM) as when i got it the other week! :p :ninja:

:ninja: not to rain on your parade, but its possible that the Panther cd just doesnt like the memory you have...also, when i have had this problem (with B&W G3's) it is usually the cdrom drive being naughty. :ninja:

:ninja: not to rain on your parade, but its possible that the Panther cd just doesnt like the memory you have...also, when i have had this problem (with B&W G3's) it is usually the cdrom drive being naughty. :ninja:

He has tried 2 different sets of RAM and if any other RAM is bad, it's the soldiered on 64MB... which isn't too easy to replace ;)