Signs point to major overhaul of the Apple iMac

Am I the only Mac user on Neowin who actually LIKES the looks of the TAM? I'd love to have one if I could get my hands on one.

i want one too, but they are ugly and slow and expensive. good collectors item though...

Well, ugly I don't agree with (I think they look really cool), slow is relative (they aren't much slower than my 7300, and there are some upgrades available for them), but expensive I can agree with. Even on eBay, they go for more than most G3 and even some G4 PowerBooks.

edit: I just looked on eBay. there are currently two TAM's. One is used, with a buy-it-now price of $750. The other, amazingly, is still sealed in the original box!! The bidding on that one STARTS at $1200 (no bids yet).

Edited by roadwarrior

ahah i have an old apple newton still in box and a couple used ones. I wonder what that would fetch. Damn thing was made in 1993 :lamp: starts googling the average selling price lol

Am I the only Mac user on Neowin who actually LIKES the looks of the TAM? I'd love to have one if I could get my hands on one.

Am I the only Mac user on Neowin who owns a TAM?

Out of interest, how many people that are commenting that the TAM is ugly have actually seen one in real life?

I saw one at a Computer fair once. ok its not bad... I would not wanna own one though its Design is so hmmm unreal? It just don't look right... For one if you stick it on a normal computer table the screen is gonna be pretty high... I just don't like it. Its ok to not like stuff. :ninja:

Apple Computer, Inc. is preparing for the launch of a completely redesigned iMac personal computer, according to numerous reports and an analysis of recent inner-workings of the company.

Earlier this month, Apple initiated an inventory flush of its current iMac offerings, explaining to resellers that they would receive no further shipments of the 17 and 20-inch iMac G4. Resellers were also told this week to expect a discontinuation of the 15-inch iMac G4 in the immediate future.

Consumer demand for Apple's eMac and iMac computers is currently exceeding available inventory, and should remain that way for approximately 3 more weeks.

During meetings with regional representatives last week, resellers were reportedly informed of supply constraints that will affect both the iMac and eMac product lines until approximately mid-July.

While supplies of the eMac are expected to be low due to the fulfillment of education orders, sources say that the almost nonexistent inventory of iMacs is due to a product refresh due imminently.

The new iMac will reportedly sport single Power PC G5 processors at speeds below 2GHz and feature a completely redesigned enclosure. Details are sketchy, but one source, who has provided accurate information on previous projects, claims that the new iMac will sport a vertical "pizza box" physique with the main logic board mounted vertically behind the computer's LCD screen.

Multiple reports indicate that Apple plans to introduce the new iMac G5 as early as Monday's World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC), where CEO Steve Jobs may choose to showcase the computer.

Sources have also said to expect iPod related announcements from Apple in the near future, citing the WWDC event as a potential time and place.

Apple last refreshed the iMac product-line in September of 2003, adding a 20-inch configuration two months later.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=517

So do you get that AI is an unreliable source for rumours yet? They've proven over and over again to not have a clue.

So do you get that AI is an unreliable source for rumours yet? They've proven over and over again to not have a clue.

They did get the displays right though.

Several other sites had predicted a new iMac too...

They did get the displays right though.

Several other sites had predicted a new iMac too...

New displays were a no brainer. Their price, however, was incorrect.

No, several other sites relayed what AI said about the iMacs. There's a large difference between predicting and relaying. I think 3 sites actually predicted G5 iMacs, and AI was the only Mac-oriented site.

Price wasn't far out, but, it's not really worth arguing about.

Well if they really had any reliable sources, we wouldn't have to be discussing this in the first place. Until they get one thing right, there's no reason to believe.

Weren't they the ones who claimed Apple legal told them to remove some pics? What were the pics?