I got MEPIS

i finally found a distro i like. i love mepis. it just fits me. not too hard, not too "mandrakey." AWESOME hardware support. it recognized my logitech mx 310 as a ,get this, a logitech mx310. how cool is that? mandrake thought it was a two button PS2 mouse(its USB btw) and knopix just thought it was a generic logitrech wheel mouse. also, my sound works. i love it. its also a lot faster than mandrake and dosent have all the mandrake-specific icons that i spent so much time trying to get rid of.

Two questions, one is pretty noobish, the other is more worth your time.

1. the install of MEPIS installs everything, and there is a lot of useless crap programs on my pc right now. where do i get rid of them?

2. on the bootscreen, it asks if i want to use the 2.4 kernel or the 2.6 kernel. the 2.4 is chosen by default. is there something wrong with the 2.6 kernel that they had to make it a second choice?

i finally found a distro i like. i love mepis. it just fits me. not too hard, not too "mandrakey." AWESOME hardware support. it recognized my logitech mx 310 as a ,get this, a logitech mx310. how cool is that? mandrake thought it was a two button PS2 mouse(its USB btw) and knopix just thought it was a generic logitrech wheel mouse. also, my sound works. i love it. its also a lot faster than mandrake and dosent have all the mandrake-specific icons that i spent so much time trying to get rid of.

Two questions, one is pretty noobish, the other is more worth your time.

1. the install of MEPIS installs everything, and there is a lot of useless crap programs on my pc right now. where do i get rid of them?

2. on the bootscreen, it asks if i want to use the 2.4 kernel or the 2.6 kernel. the 2.4 is chosen by default. is there something wrong with the 2.6 kernel that they had to make it a second choice?

That's great that it picked up your mouse and soundcard right away, but that doesn't mean it's the best distro out there. I'm not trying to knock it though, I just want you to be aware that some of the best things involve configuring it yourself.

i couldnt configure mandrake for the life of me. im still a noob. it might not be teh best/most powerful/whatever distro out there, but its the perfect one fore me ATM.

Lol Nuka :)

Using Linux has undoubtedly increased your post count. :happy: I've been following your Linux-Journey for quite some time now (how could I resist? There always seemed to be a thread about it, :ninja: ) and I must congratulate you on finally settling down with something that you like. I hope that your progress so far has offered you some insight into the choice/configurability power of this kernel. (Y)

When I first started out, I broke dependencies left and right.:blush: When I thought that I'd taken a step forward, I always ended up 2 steps back. To make matters worse, this was during the 14.4 modem days. I couldn't depend on web-advice. All I had was a copy of Pro-L (now deprecated, I believe,) and Linux-in-a-nutshell.

Throughout the years, I broke, repaired, and broke many installs. :no: I kept a notebook of things *Not* to do, and this collection of abstract thoughts spanned many folders. :wacko: New hardware (this was unavoidable) meant more changes to my notes. I did this so often that I finally understood the basic layers of Linux-operability.

My youngest sister was/is technology-challenged. :x I was able to diagnose her 3.11 f.workgrps problems quickly, with plenty of time to spare. I owe my innate Windows knowledge to the many problems that I had with Linux. This is the truth, and you'll be able to realise this in the future. You'll learn to appreciate the knowledge of net-citizens, and the research that you commit yourself to.

In retrospect, I don't believe that I would've gotten through the degrees/masters without the confidence that Linux had instilled. I can't say this about every one else, but Linux has *really* changed my life. :cry: It started out as a hobby, and developed into financial-independence.

Btw, in case you're wondering about the length of this post: I'm currently undertaking a massive overhaul of several of my systems. I'm creating this post in links2, with mp3blaster playing in the background, and cron performing its weekly update routine. I've got nothing else to do. :p

no, i dont think it affectedd my post count much. if i wasnt using linux id be either trolling the apple forums or helping noobs out with windows(which i still do anyway).

about those dependencies.....

im trying ot install gaim, but it says i need to install Glib. i downloaded glib and installed it according to the instructions and no errors or anything. then i try to install gaim again and i still get the same error. i installed it in /home/me/Programs/glib/ according to

% gzip -cd glib-2.4.2.tar.gz | tar xvf -  # unpack the sources
  % cd glib-2.4.2                           # change to the toplevel directory
  % ./configure                             # run the `configure' script
  % make                                    # build GLIB

[ Become root if necessary ]
  % rm -rf /install-prefix/include/glib.h /install-prefix/include/gmodule.h
  % make install                            # install GLIB

anyway,

the problem with me is, even though i break installs, i have no idea how to repair them. once something goes wrong, i take hte easy way out and reformat. when you tried to help with fix mdk, i had no idea what i was doing.

i dont have any degrees, yet. im planning on getting A+ next year, which i heard was pretty hard considering its an elective class and *most* people take something like ceramics instead.

I'm creating this post in links2, with mp3blaster playing in the background, and cron performing its weekly update routine.

i have no idea what you just said, but ill assume youre doing something that takes a long time and you are listening to music.

cool. gaim worked. i seriouslt dont understand people saying linux is hard to install anymore.

to install MEPIS.

shove the cd in

click the install icon on the desktop

click ok 5 times without doing much else

take the cd out

reboot

DONE-easy as that.

to install gaim

open up konsole

do what cakey said

done-easy as that

in windows

id say installing the OS is about as hard as MEPIS. windows xp, and especially longhorn, are pretty easy to install

instaliing apps in windows,

download it

double click it

click next a couple times

update adaware

run adaware for a few minutes

remove all the attached spyware

done-easy as that.

instaliing apps in windows,

download it

double click it

click next a couple times

update adaware

run adaware for a few minutes

remove all the attached spyware

done-easy as that.

:) I knew where you were going from the get-go.

Your spyware comment prompted the following question:

Is your internet secure?

meaning?

are you talking about windows or linux?

im not sure if i enabled the firewall in linux, but i have a hardware firewall which puts all ports in stealth mode, except for one which is visible but blocked. i think im pretty secure without a software firewall.

meaning?

are you talking about windows or linux?

im not sure if i enabled the firewall in linux, but i have a hardware firewall which puts all ports in stealth mode, except for one which is visible but blocked. i think im pretty secure without a software firewall.

Bleh, your h/w fw should take care of things. Nvm. :cool:

Hmmm nuka_t got a couple of questions for you because I've tried so many distros and I don't seem to get on with any of them..

Question 1.. Do you think MEPIS would be easy for someone who hasn't been jumping from distro to distro? (I know you tried out Mandrake for example).. I've tried a few distros but still don't know much about linux..

Question 2.. Does it use packages? Like rpm, tgz, etc? Does that apt-get come pre-installed?

Thanks

1. ya its pretty easy. its got some of its own config stuff to make things easier. its a livecd at first, so you can boot it up from the cd and try it out for yourself.

2. apt-get preinstalled. it also has "ark" which opens .tgz, .bz, .zip, .rar(not by default though, it only functoins as a frontend for "unrar"), etc.