Xcode

Has anyone here used Xcode? I'm looking into programming again and I was wondering how good it is? Ease of use? etc.. And does it require that you restart after installation? :p

It's no visual studio but it gets the job done. It's arguably the best IDE on OS X and it's free. The 'ease of use' is about what you'd expect from this type of application, i'm not really sure what to say about it.

I'm reasonably sure it doesn't require a restart after installation, but it's been a while since I last installed it.

Xcode is for creating applications using either AppleScript, Objective-C, C++, C or Java. The way interface builder and xcode are split I would say it's not even much like VisualC - it's different, but not terribly hard to use if you've been around C programming for any length of time. I guess applescript is powerful enough to create some pretty big applications but you'd be forced to learn cocoa which can be a bit jarring if all you want to do is bash out some simple programs.

If you're looking to write VB type applications then it would be worth your while to check out realbasic. realbasic is plenty useful for writing applications for personal use but the programs tend to lack the refinement and 'nicety' of objective-c/cocoa applications.

Has anyone here used Xcode? I'm looking into programming again and I was wondering how good it is? Ease of use? etc.. And does it require that you restart after installation? :p

I used it for all my C++ projects for uni.

it's pretty nice

Looks like I'll download Xcode overnight. :)

I have this book here, "Learn C++ in 21 days", I plan on cracking it open soon and reading it. :p

You don't have Xcode with your Panther discs? :p