New to Mac and ...

need help in finding out whether it Airport Ready or Airport Extreme Ready. I've got PowerBook G4 15".

Also what type of screwdriver do I need to open up the case? And why can't apple use the screws everyone in the world use? :crazy:

Thanks in advance.

need help in finding out whether it Airport Ready or Airport Extreme Ready. I've got PowerBook G4 15".

If the usb/firewire/modem/ethernet ports are in the back you have "TiBook" (titanium powerbook) so it will only accept the airport card, if they are on the sides then you have an "AlBook" (aluminum powerbook) so it will only accept the airport extreme card (which is backward compatiable with airport).

Also what type of screwdriver do I need to open up the case?  And why can't apple use the screws everyone in the world use? :crazy:

To open the case you'll need a torx t6 driver. It's a standard bit in the computer industry (probably because they don't strip) and you should be able to pick one up at a Home Depot or any hardware store for a couple of dollars, they're also standard issue in those $10 "PC repair toolkits" you buy at big-box computer retailers.

BTW you know that you dont have to "open up" your powerbook to install an airport card right? All you need to do is remove the battery.

This is the simplest thing. Click on the Apple Menu > About This Mac. Then click the More Info button to open the System Profiler. There's a Hardware section on the right. Under that you'll see AirPort. Just select AirPort to see if you have the card or not.

The new powerbooks should have the Airport installed from factory. You should also see an icon that shows like a semicircle. Check the apple website for more info.

Thank you all for your reply, I think it's an Airport ready.

The PowerBook is second hand and couple of years old and didn't come with any manuals. I have a wireless USB dongle from DLINK but the driver often freezes the machine. The dongle works fine on Windows however.

Thanks again.

If it's a couple of years old, and sub-1GHz, it takes the original AirPort card.

1GHz may be AirPort Extreme or AirPort depending if it's Aluminum or Titanium, anything faster is AirPort Extreme.

I think that all the Aluminum ones have USB2.0, which may be an easy way to tell.

A USB key for wireless will not work. You MUST use an AirPort card. I'm telling you that using the Apple System Profiler will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. If it's an older machine and is not running Panther, then go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilties > System Profiler to find out everything about your machine.

A USB key for wireless will not work.

Not true - USB dongle does work but not reliable enough that all. Sometimes it would work for 1 hour before freezing up the machine other time it would work for many hours.

My next problem is to get the damn thing opened!