Anyone running Mac OS X Server as a workstation

Needing to run some Web serving off my local mac.

Wondering if anyone has their Mac on running Mac OS X server 10.3 intead of pain OS X Panther 10.3?

I know alot Windows guys run Windows Server 2003 and thier workstation/desktop OS...

Probably more system resources are being used since the server applications are running. Why not just install Apache, and what else you need outside of server? They have prebuilt binaries I believe.

Really dont needed to... really

You know how they say OS X is better than... well wanted to try server to see if its better than Windows 2003 server...

I run a few intranet sites, and wanted to try it on Server. Only have one Mac though...

you can use the OS X installation you have now as a server. MySQL, and PHP are easy to install, and mac os x has apache support built in, when you open system preferences, click on sharing and then enable Personal Web serving. This is really simple if all you want is a basic web server, OS X server just has everything installed for you and allows you to server more than just websites, IE POP & IMAP built in, also OS X Server is expensive to use for just website hosting IMO

Probably more system resources are being used since the server applications are running. Why not just install Apache, and what else you need outside of server? They have prebuilt binaries I believe.

Apache is preinstalled with OS X

Needing to run some Web serving off my local mac.

Wondering if anyone has their Mac on running Mac OS X server 10.3 intead of pain OS X Panther 10.3?

I know alot Windows guys run Windows Server 2003 and thier workstation/desktop OS...

OS X panther server does not have all of the iApps that OS X Panther will have preinstalled and it usually installs faster, I've used OS X panther server and it has a lot of similar apps like microsoft's to control various server tasks. There's a lot missing from it that you'll have to copy from the regular OS X Panther, iChat, for instance is not preinstalled, I'll have to double check, the last time I used OS X Server was a few months ago

You can run apache just fine with Panther Client. You just don't get the advance GUI management console, just a basic one. I've got Mysql 4.x installed on my laptop as i was trying to get Bugzilla running a while ago to evaluate for work. You can access remotely through SSH which is just a click away on Panther Client and Server and if you have Apple Remote Desktop, you can use the built-in facility to manage your Panther machine.

VNC is another option.

For basic (non-enterprise) webserving, Panther client is quiet capable.

I cannot figure why someone would run windows server on a desktop other than for highend development or they are a clueless fanboy. XP Pro has an optional install of IIS 5.1 which is good enough even for asp.net development.

Thanks for all the responces. Will stick with the current setup.

I run 11 separate user websites on an intranet, besides Media streaming, terminal services, TV Server, file server.

You can make anything that has source compile on Mac OS X. It also has SSH built right in to the OS. As you may know it is BSD based, meaning it has a VERY scalable and powerful backgrounf. I'm not so sure what is so special about the OS X Server edition. Anyone care to explain?

I cannot figure why someone would run windows server on a desktop other than for highend development or they are a clueless fanboy. XP Pro has an optional install of IIS 5.1 which is good enough even for asp.net development.

Some people like to toy around and learn things without having to be taught. This is how I learn.

Some people like to toy around and learn things without having to be taught. This is how I learn.

That I can understand but Servers are not meant for long term desktop use. I suppose if a person only has one box, it is understandable. I was just pointing out that the server offers no tangible advantages for a home user/hobbiest or even a developer. Obviously, at work we have server OSes installed on test servers but not our workstations.

At my new job I'm running the network as a 'secondary' duty (my primary role is web design) - where we will be running OS X Server and OS X clients. From what I've seen there isn't a lot of things in OS X server that would interest a home user: do you need to run an LDAP server for thousands of clients?

I haven't really had a whole lot of reason to poke around because I'm taking over from a reasonably bright UNIX guy who had most of the regular maintenance automated and I'll have someone working with me to handle the "boring" work. I'll make some notes on tuesday or wednesday about the differences, but I'm much more interested in the under-the-hood changes in 10.4.