why pay $300+?

why are people paying so much over retail for ipod mini's when they could just roll down to a local college and pick one up? i had class scheduling today at my college, and i decided to take a peek at what they had in stock, and they had 4 or 5 ipod mini boxes for $230 each. so i decided to get one :p

just gotta watch the headphone jack and don't scratch the screen. anybody got a good suggestion for a cheap ipod mini protector?

I thought that the discounts are for students only...

how would they know if you were currently enrolled or not? the salesman didn't ask me if i was a student.

I decided to get the full iPod as the iPod mini seems a tad of a rip off with storage concerns. I got the 30GB refurbished for $350 and I think that is a pretty good deal, I rather have the more space as it is more cost effective. :)

by the fact that they ask for a student id card.

no, he didn't ask for anything. i walked in, saw they had it, and walked over to him (he was sitting behind a counter playing on an imac :D) and said "i'd like to buy one of the ipod mini's" and he picked up the keys to the display case and opened it, handed it to me, and said "you can pay for it over there". nobody asked any questions ;)

it's silver, btw, and i'll be posting a review in a little while. thanks for the link, auero.

i decided to with the mini, and not a cheaper-per-gb full ipod for a few reasons, mostly the regular ipod scratches way too easily. that chrome back will have all sorts of marks on it... and i don't need all that space. i have 3 days of music on my computer... if i was going somewhere that i would actually need 3 days of music, my laptop would be going with me ;)

a cheap way i use to protect my screen without adding bulk to my ipod is to just put a layer of ordinary kitchen cling wrap over the screen.

it would never be "just right", ya know :p

damn, 4 weeks :o i wish they had a pink one in stock, because people on ebay go nuts for those :p

i'm surprised college students aren't putting money in their pockets easy with things like this... for awhile there, all the colors of the ipod mini were outrageously expensive on ebay... put down $240 now, wait a week on ebay, get $350. that's a handsome chunk of change.

I want a silver one but I have this damn iPod which I really don't need to have all this music for but hey, too late now. I'd loose a lot of I sold it on ebay now :angry:

I decided to get the full iPod as the iPod mini seems a tad of a rip off with storage concerns. I got the 30GB refurbished for $350 and I think that is a pretty good deal, I rather have the more space as it is more cost effective. :)

Nice, I thought they only had 15,20, and 40GB ones, I never seen a 30GB before.

Nice, I thought they only had 15,20, and 40GB ones, I never seen a 30GB before.

The 30GB used to be the top of the line 3rd gen iPod that went for $499, same as the 40GB model. It was replaced by the 40GB model. There was also a 10GB 3rd gen, the 15 replaced it.