Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall or BEFSR41 Router?

Saw both of these at the store when I bought the new trackball. The BEFSX41 was $79.95 and the BEFSR41 was $59.95. The only difference on the box that I could see was that the BEFSX41 included some stuff to protect you from denial of service and a few things like that. But I asked a guy I know and he said that on the BEFSR41 if you set it to BLOCK ALL WAN REQUESTS, you pretty much get the same protection. Plus the BEFSX41 has VPN things built in, but I would not use that at home and I don't really know about setting VPN's up anyway, so I don't know if that matters.

Any opinions on each of these would be appreciated.

BEFSR41 without extra firewall stuff = $59.95: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=29&prid=561

BEFSX41 with extra firewall stuff = $79.95: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=29&prid=433

Thanks,

BK

BEFSR41

the fact that its a router gives you enough protection as it is.

If you need anymore protection go and download one of the tons of free software firewalls.

Save the $20

There is really not much difference - other than the VPN, the x41 also supports SNMP. So if you would like to do some graphing of traffic your router is passing using MRTG or a simular product, then you need the X41.

Also supports some blocking of urls, and time based blocking - Ie if you want your kids to not have access to IM after 9pm, etc.. Then X41 would do that - if you not looking for any of these features, than I say save yourself a few bucks. Why pay for features your not going to use.

I had picked up the X41 when my S41 died after 3+ years of 24/7 reliable service, just because I wanted the SNMP support. Both are decent products - but if not wanting the few extras the X41 adds, save your money and go with the S41.