Help please

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me out.

I have a DSL connection which was working fine up until earlier today. I don't know if this is the problem, but I downloaded and installed soulseek and after using it for about twenty minutes, it crashed. Then, upon restarting the computer, I tried to load Internet Explorer, and alas, it wouldn't connect to the net. In fact, I can't use any program that requires a connection i.e. kazaa, MSN Messenger etc.

During the installation process with Soulseek, there was a section concerning proxy (I think) connections. I don't remember what this option was but I just kept all the default values and clicked next. I mention this as when I try and run messenger it tells me that my proxy settings might not be set right and that it can't connect through a http proxy. Also, I don't think internet explorer is detecting my settings right.

Hopefully some of you have some suggestions to help me out with this problem, and to those of you who reply, thank you very much.

I know this may seem a tad silly. But have your internet proxy settings changed ?

Have a look in Intrernet Explorer >>> Tools >>> Options >>>> Conecctions >>>> Lan Settings.

Generally all the settings should be blank.

I don't think they have changed. "Automatically detect settings" is ticked and the rest are blank. Are there any network card settings that I should check?

No luck. It seems that Internet Explorer is having trouble "detecting proxy settings" resulting in a DNS error. I don't know if this helps, but I'm connected to the net through a router (the connection is shared in the house). We are also behind a firewall.

I am wodering if your computer is getting a valid IP address. SInce you are behind a router, your ip address should be 192.168.1.x of something like that (depends on how your router is set up). If you get an ip like 169.x.x.x, then you are not getting a valid ip from the router which could be the router, or it could be your TCP-IP stack.

are other computer on the network getting out fine? can you ping the router/other computers? Try using both ip address and host names.

I'm currently using an iBook on the network (I keep switching the lead back and forth between it and the pc), and it is working fine.

As for pinging the other computers, I don't have their ip's (I have just moved in to a student house). Plus, I don't have the ip of the router (I'm sorry, I know this isn't helping, I am new to all this). Is there a way to find out the router's ip?

the IP address of your router is the ipaddress of your default gateway. Make sure you can release and renew your ip address... "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" if this works, then the issue is in your internet settings. If this does not work, then this issues is either in the cabling (i doubt it) or the TCP/IP stack. For the TCP/IP stack issue, http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html download this file to a disk (it will fit on a floppy) take it to the windows box, and run. Then try to access the internet.

I pinged the router and all the requests time out...

I think the 'release' and 'renew' work (it just lists all the ipconfig info again).

Plus, I have checked all the internet settings and they all seem to be fine.

Is the file you reccommended me for XP only? Please say it isn't, as I am running crap WinME.