Price from Apple UK? ?1550

40+% more.

20" TFT in US = $1300 (?700 UK)

Price from Apple UK? ?1000

40+% more.

17" TFT in US = $700 (?380 UK)

Price from Apple UK? ?549

40+% more.

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra in US = $599 (?330 UK)

Price from Apple UK? ?449

35+% more.

That's a joke... I'm sure it costs ?750 to ship the 30" to Europe (I'm sure it's made in Asia)!

I know hardware in the US is cheaper, but, 40% is ridiculous.

Edit: I had the 23" price listed wrongly

Edited by Pilsbury

absolutley with you on this one. im getting a 15gb ipod for ?164.87 in the US (a friend is doing business there at the moment). it costs ?250 here.

for you americans, a 15gb iPod in the UK costs a staggering $454.95, you pay $300

/edit - pilsbury, if you have a look on the US shopping sites most tech hardware is around the same price, its just apple ripping us off.

Sadly it's not just Apple, consoles, games and all electronics stuff we get ripped off big time, but if we pay for them when they charge so much no incentive for them to lower their charges. If nobody bought them they would have to lower them but we grudgingly pay those prices.

In the Daily Mail (yes, i know it's a crap paper) on saturday there was a list of stuff we get ripped off on for example:

BA Economy return flight London - New York, Uk price ?464, US price ?386

Johnnie Walker Red Label (litre) which is made in scotland, UK Price ?23.27, US Price ?16

I think it's the VAT...

the other 22.5% is because the pound is too expensive now, or maybe I should say dollar is too cheap now, I think the price apple setup is based on the exchange rate few month ago (which is more realistic), if apple set price to the exchanging rate now, then after few month dollar get more expensive, then apple will lose a lot of money....

It's similar in Australia, although not as bad.

26% more with 30" (AU$5999, US$3300)

21% more with 23" (AU$3499, US$1999)

23% more with 20" (AU$2299, US$1299)

Not as much, with 20% more when you thing about it is still quite a bit things. Unfortunately, like mentioned, this problem extends to everything, it's just to round the figures I guess.

Hey, this is really not a new topic. Europeans have always been paying more for tech goods., like computers, hi-fi, cars, etc than those poor Americans.

It's not only a question of VAT.

It's more a question of market and globalization.

Why are DVD's also cheaper in the US than in Europe ? Compare the prices of, for example "The Matrix". The DVD costs 14.99 USD at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000K19E/qid=1088516747/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-2867093-0542233?v=glance&s=dvd)

and 19.98 euros at Amazon.fr

(http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004VYO6/qid=1088516777/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/402-9518559-6908965)

Today, 19.98 euros is worth 24.2728 USD.

That's 61% more than 14.99 USD. Do you think that's only VAT ?

And we are not even speaking about gas. Gas is about 4 times more expensive in Europe than in the US, and the Americans are complaining about expensive gas because their beloved President declared war to petrol-producing countries.

What a Brave New World !

gas (or petrol) is different. we all pay world prices for that but the european governments understand the pollution cars generate so they tax, the American government is only just showing any interest in the taxation of gasoline.

Petrol is different to this. In the end, I find myself buying stuff when I got overseas because of the savings you get. I mean, you can simply save au$300 just by buying something overseas. Of cource, going oversears just to buy doesn't leave you in the + so best to buy to coincide with going overseas. ;)

And this is precisely why I haven't got a PowerMac G5, because the prices in the UK are so damned high in comparison to US.

OT: 30" is too big for me, I'll be happy with a 20" display. But not at their prices.

Most states in the U.S. charge Sales Tax of about 8%, which is not included in the prices on the Apple Online Store.

Having said that, the prices in Europe still seem bloody expensive!

Maybe you guys can find someone in the U.S. to buy and ship the stuff for you. The states of Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not have sales tax. That's another 8% saving. Maybe someone can look into that...

Maybe you guys can find someone in the U.S. to buy and ship the stuff for you. The states of Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not have sales tax. That's another 8% saving. Maybe someone can look into that...

Well I already offered to ship stuff off to whom ever wants, all they have to do is email me @ mikeds@gmail.com and we can work something out.

Would be a good business solution I mean if a company opened in US which would purchase and then sell the item to you (not a reseller but will purchase individual goods) and then ship them to you for a small 1 or 2% charge?

I can see another ebay like site doing this in the near future... Cough Copyright Cough LOL :laugh:

I completely agree Pilsbury, it sure sucks, but there's little you can do. The few times i've bought stuff and had it imported, i've on occasions been stung with Import Tax, and DAMN... its so gutting, puts me off from doing, so we just gotta 'live with it' i guess... After all, sure we may have to pay more, but we are really LUCKY to live in such a prosperous, 1st world country really... Maybe we're taking too much for granted?

*grabs violin* :happy:

I think it is ironic that countries impose high tarriffs to help protect their own industries but they end up hurting or punishing their own citizens who want to buy products that are made by competition outside of their country.

What do you expect? When you raise tarriffs on imported goods, they are going to cost more. If you are not happy about that, you should lobby your representitives to drop the tarriffs so you can benefit from the free trade. Or, if you like the tarriffs, then complaining is futile, because you are supporting higher prices by supporting tarriffs.

I thought it was because of import tarrifs?

No, No, No.

No import duties on Computer Goods whatsoever. Infact, very few things attract import duties nowadays - mostly 'special industries' that certain countries rely on. I think Italy has it on shoes (!). Only VAT which is not applicable if you are importing from inside the EU.

Add to the fact I think only 4 States in the US actually don't have Sales Tax, yet Apple lists no Sales Tax on any of the pricing. You need to add around 7% (US Sales Tax) and then 17.5 (our VAT) to make a good comparision.

Also, it's more expensive to do business in the UK, so that's probably why things are still a little more expensive. Also the weak dollar does not help things - it's a tough game to play right, Globalization.

I think it is ironic that countries impose high tarriffs to help protect their own industries but they end up hurting or punishing their own citizens who want to buy products that are made by competition outside of their country.

Indeed, but it is not just the EU that imposes import duties. The US imposed very high duties on imports of steel from everywhere, to 'protect american intrests'. Ofcourse, it just meant everyone else put up duties and you were back to square one, albeit with higher pricing.

I guess it seems to me that if something is too expensive, just don't buy it. There are alternatives out there for most things. And if you are not happy with the tax system where you live, move over to the USA and live where you can buy things at the lower price. :)

As for listing the price pre-tax, that is the standard over here in the US. Has been for decades upon decades for most things. Homes, land, etc. Gasoline is one of the few things that has taxes built-in and listed, but most things, even things at the store, are pre-tax figures.

I guess it seems to me that if something is too expensive, just don't buy it. There are alternatives out there for most things. And if you are not happy with the tax system where you live, move over to the USA and live where you can buy things at the lower price. :)

As for listing the price pre-tax, that is the standard over here in the US. Has been for decades upon decades for most things. Homes, land, etc. Gasoline is one of the few things that has taxes built-in and listed, but most things, even things at the store, are pre-tax figures.

That's something that really irritates most Europeans when they visit the US for the first time...when a burger in McDonalds isn't really $1.99 but more like $2.14

I guess one would get used to it fairly quickly

Parimal

That's something that really irritates most Europeans when they visit the US for the first time...when a burger in McDonalds isn't really $1.99 but more like $2.14

I guess one would get used to it fairly quickly

Parimal

I don't know any other way, so I guess that is why it does not bother me. All I know is what I grew up with, really.

You know, they do the same thing in Canada. I go up there and think it is $29 but they add these huge taxes on items and it costs a lot more. Hotel taxes too.