[NBA] Coach K to Coach LA?

Just saw this over at ESPN.com...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1832934

I think it would be a travesty for Coach K to leave college basketball. There are some coaches who just don't fit the NBA mold: Coach K, Roy Williams, John Cheney, Jim Calhoun, and Lute Olson. I didn't even think Mike Montgomery should have left Stanford to coach the Warriors.

Hopefully, this is just talk. I'd like to be selfish and see years and years of Roy Williams vs. Coach K (UNC vs. Duke) when UNC is actually good again.

ESPN's Jim Gray is reporting that they have offered him the job...

Its a mistake for him to leave Duke, he is an icon in college basketball. Even if you love him or hate him, he doesnt belong in the NBA. Dont get me wrong, he is a hell of a coach, but he belongs in the college basketball system.

What's worse, probably, is if he takes the job, he'll get fired after 6 games. Everybody remember the massive firings last season? sheesh especially in LA

haha, i hope he goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee gooooooooooo!!!!

it would mean the downfall of the Lakers AND DUKE. i would be so happy.

Posted on Jul 2 2004, 02:16

i think it would be Rick Pitino all over again. the college game is very different

Totally agree, college is completley different, im not saying he wont do well.....but if he is an NBA coach dont expect his team to win the championship.

Well, apparantly the decision will be made Tuesday.

This just brings up bad, bad, BAD memories of my beloved Florida Gators and Steve Spurrier. I understand he felt like he had nothing left to prove in college football and for years people talked about his offensive system in the NFL; but, professional athletes simply aren't coachable. Now, Spurrier is out of a job and probably will be headed back to college football and have to rebuild again.

Of course, we can all look at Rick Pitino, PJ Carlisimo, Jerry Tarkanian, Tim Floyd, etc. etc. etc. in basketball and find very successful collegiate coaches who failed miserably in the NBA. And then look at recent coaches like Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Chuck Daly, Rick Adelman, Greg Popovich...none of them made a name for themselves in coaching college basketball but won...alot...in the NBA. Go figure.

Is it just me or does mitch kupchak sound like a total idiot as a GM? Jerry West left the team and that sorry idiot Kupchak has done nothing but screw up the team since then.

Is it just me or does mitch kupchak sound like a total idiot as a GM? Jerry West left the team and that sorry idiot Kupchak has done nothing but screw up the team since then.

No, it's not just you. I've always thought Kupchak was an idiot. When the Lakers signed Gary Payton before last season, I knew it wasn't going to work. And Jerry West never would have made that move. It's like throwing a stick into the wheel of a moving bicycle. Kupchak should have known Payton's style of play would not mesh well with the Lakers' style of play. There's a reason Jerry West got rid of Nick Van Exel - you can't have a score-first point guard when you have Shaq; which is what Payton is.

Now, Kupchak says all this garbage about Kobe being the only priority for the Lakers, blah blah. Kobe is running the team and Kupchak has no balls to stand up against it. It'll be interesting to see what free agent moves, if any, the Lakers make.

Kobe is selfish, on trial for rape and an admitted adulterer. Why would someone want to build a team around him? Isn't it hard to build a fan-friendly, family-friendly program around such a person?