Real high speed dialup

Recently my parents were having a problem with their PC's internet. The support guy told my mother something, and now the PC's dialup internet is going at 115.2kbps. This PC is using a V.92 modem, the area has brand new phone lines, and we don't use that "accelerated" dialup stuff (our ISP doesn't even have it). Everyone I know with dialup internet is groveling for the tip, but of course my mother doesn't even know what she did. What happened? :wacko:

Is it really 115200 bps? Back in the days of dialup for me, i've had DUN display I was connected at 115200 bps a few times. Go to www.dslreports.com and under the tools section do a speed test.

What happened? :wacko:

what happened is that sometimes windows will start showing PORT SPEED between your modem and your computer, and not connection speed of your modem to your isp.

it is impossible for dialup modem to connect at 115200, if you'll do is any downloads or tests you'll see that your true connection speed is still just as slow

Right; DUN used to display the higher speed. The tech person is clueless. Your parents are/were most certainly not connecting at 115200. Ignore him.

It is really going at that speed, and everything loads so much faster. BTW, dialup can go up to 1mbps depending on how close you are to the server (you have to be REALLY close).

it's a bug in windows seen it before. it gets a bad reading when connecting and freaks out says it maxed out. both times i saw it the modem were bad, they went up in less then a month

It is really going at that speed, and everything loads so much faster. BTW, dialup can go up to 1mbps depending on how close you are to the server (you have to be REALLY close).

Not on a standard phone line.

no it is not :)

dialup can not "go up to 1mbps".

it is physicaly impossible for modems to connect faster than 56k...why do you think all modems are advertised as such? don't you think companies would sell more modems if they advertised them as 112k and not 56k? distance from to your isp doesn't matter.

plus according to FCC rules it is illegal for isps to allow connection at anything faster than 53k since it cuases interference with neighboring wires.

Yeah really dude....dial-up over the POTS network (plain old telephone service, the standard name for analog phone lines in the US) does NOT and can NOT go that fast. The FCC has a governer on the line speeds at 52.2Kbps. No higher.

Not at all.

Don't post crap like that when you're not certain.

Yeah really dude....dial-up over the POTS network (plain old telephone service, the standard name for analog phone lines in the US) does NOT and can NOT go that fast.  The FCC has a governer on the line speeds at 52.2Kbps.  No higher.

Not at all.

Don't post crap like that when you're not certain.

Uh..I am certain. I spoke to Bellsouth phone techs about it. Not helpdesk people either. They told me that bottom of the line DSL speeds are possible over dialup. Why again would they place a governer on the line if it wasn't technically possible to attain that speed?

I've heard that in the UK anything above 52.2Kbps can allow you to tap into people's phone conversations. Which is why you really never get a true 56k connection.

Radish?

i laugh. 1 megabit dialup on crack! :x

" In the meantime, PC makers have been (since 1998) producing millions of units with virtually all models installed with a 56K V.90/V.92 dialup modem. -- Ha! - Fat chance you'll ever get to even 53K (Kbps), which is the FCC imposed speed limit.

Modem manufacturers already have newer high-speed dialup modems waiting in the wings that -could- work on the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network), but the telcos have managed to discourage that scenario with old or poor lines, or by installing load coils, bridges, analog/digital switches (too many of which can cancel V.90 standards) and other stumbling blocks to their COs (Central Offices) and local loop lines which make 56K impossible. "

" To sum it all up, the world could already be easily connected (even high-speed) to the Internet via voice-grade telephone lines, and the technology is there, but if only the telcos both in the U.S. and elsewhere would stop dragging their feet - and bureaucrats and politicians keep their priorities and ethics straight. "

Taken from here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...Dec/ai_94629320

Uh..I am certain. I spoke to Bellsouth phone techs about it. Not helpdesk people either. They told me that bottom of the line DSL speeds are possible over dialup. Why again would they place a governer on the line if it wasn't technically possible to attain that speed?

LOL. You're just not knowing the facts. Sorry. Not true.

what happened is that sometimes windows will start showing PORT SPEED between your modem and your computer, and not connection speed of your modem to your isp.

Text book answer. I was just about to say that.

Over a maximum bandwith of 4 KHz (which is what POTS is capable of when running in analogue) it's actually not possible to start sending data well over 56Kbps because of signal degradation through noise. Plus it is illegal.

As for acheiving bottom line DSL speeds - that's utter rubbish. Distance is not a true factor when it comes to a dial-up analogue modem.

The 115 Kbps connection displayed is due to Windows reporting the connection speed between your computer and your modem, not your modem and the internet.

To find out the true speed of your connection, do a download speed test from a localised server (so not from a server sitting in Europe if you're in the US, etc.)

Anybody who tells you that they can connect to the internet faster than 56Kbps using an analogue modem is lying.

POTS DUN (standard telephone line + modem dialup) CAN NOT go above 53kbps. FACT!

I studied this crap at uni, and also I understand the system well. Anyone who tells you they have connected faster is either lying about their speed or hardware. Give, the quality of line and distance from exchange deteriorates the speed/signal, but it CAN NOT increase it above 53 (well, 52.something).

Your incorrect people.

U can turn protocall error checking off on a line which has been checked.

Was on news scientist although im not a member i cant find info.

Are you with NTL Or Telewest? for phone and as an ISP? i no a few people who get same speeds as you if they have that combination. (and i mean dial-up..not broadband - people..)