yet another new layout

Question

im starting a new website for a contest, i think ive got the layout where i want it.*note in firefox theres a line in in the middle colum that doesnt appear there in internet explorer. i can either make it dissapear in firefox and have it appear in IE or dissapear in IE and appear in firefox. :rolleyes: ive decided to IE optimize it since it will be the browser the judges are using. but i hope to fix that problem i just dont want to hear feed back on that issue because i already know it exists.*

http://www.adam.crcn.net/physics/

3 answers to this question

Ummm, it's all messed up... :blink:

dead.png

...otherwise it's alright.

As I make the window bigger, so the different elements of the layout break apart from each other.

You shouldn't design for a specific resolution ;)

Well, I hate to break it to you, but your page looks exactly the same in IE6 and FF.9: messed up. By saying that, I'm not trying to make a judgement on your design style/skill, but as far as the CODE is concerned, you have some problems there... that, or maybe I SHOULD make a crack about your design ability :p. I'm sure it's a problem with your code though, so I'd look into that if I were you. I know you said "not to bring it up", but it doesn't seem like you realize it has a problem in IE as well.

Also, you have no padding on the left column, where the links are, which doesn't look good at all. I'd say at least 5px padding. Also, at the top, your title banner doesn't fit across the entire area, and there is a big blank spot...

OK, I just changed my resolution to make a screen shot (I figured 1280x1024 was too large) and all of the display problems resolved themselves. I'll also note that the page looks perfect in FF.9 as well as IE6 at a resolution of 1024x768 or lower. On resolutions above that, the site looks like... well, I just saw the next post. It looks like his screenshot. You still need at least a 5px border on the left panel where the links are, but everything else is fine, as long as you stay at or below 1024x768. I would hope the judges don't test multiple resolutions above that... if they do, you absolutely must fix that problem.

my monitor only goes up to 1024x 768 resolution so i dont know what it looks like past that. i had no clue the tables broke apart like that until Cdog informed me and i looked at it on my other computer. thanks for the input Cdog