Firewalls

I currently have McAfee Personal Firewall.

It's ok but its not great.

I am having problems turning it on/off. When I turn on the computer it is sometimes disabled, then it usually enables when I connect to the internet. But some other times (like now), the task bag signifies that it is on (by having a red M) but when I click on it, it says that it is not enabled. It says "Click here to enable firewall" So I do that, but it doesn't do anything. So I figured i'd test the firewall and it says (on the McAfee website) that they cannot get through.

So due to these inconsistancies, I am wanting to change my firewall. I am currently paying $4 a month (I know thats kinda dodgy) to use this firewall from my ISP.

I want to go to a free one but it has to be as good or better as McAfee Personal Firewall.

Thanks.

kerio personal firewall 2.1.5 is my choice. the new 4.x version gave me wierd errors but 2.1.5 always worked for me. very good program. and it's free.

And these are up to the standards of McAfee?

The question should be is McAfee's Firewall up to thier standards.

Kerio and Sygate's GUI definately loses but they trump McAfee when it comes to functionality.

And to answer your edit: question you'd need to run a port scan against your PC to really know for sure, but I would trust what it "says" not the icon becuase sometimes the icons don't refresh properly in the system tray, so chances are if the icon says yes but when you open it and it says disabled, then it's most likely disabled.

Excellent *pitches fingers*

Thankyou.

And I did a "Test your firewall" thing and it said this:

Unable to Probe

The IP address requesting this page is different from the IP address of your computer.  This indicates that your computer is behind a proxy or NAT.  These devices allow you to access the Internet by relaying traffic, typically from multiple computers, through a single IP address.

We are unable to directly probe your computer, you should take comfort from this.  You have that much more protection between your computer and the Internet.

Try Sygate Personal Firewall Free Edition, its good :D but I got the Pro ;)

Excellent *pitches fingers*

Thankyou.

And I did a "Test your firewall" thing and it said this:

Well that's not what you'd get if the site was testing McAfee's firewall, are you behind a router? If so that's the IP it was testing. To see if McAfee's firewall is on AND you have a router you need to put your PC in the DMZ in your routers config.

Edit: Plus if it's a website that needs you to enter the IP of your PC make sure you give it your external IP(the one of your router if you have one) not your internal IP, because they can't scan 192.x.x.x IP's.

Edited by mAcOdIn

Ok.

Thankyou all.

For some strange reason the McAfee firewall is now working (but it keeps enabling/disabling on startup) so I have installed Kerio as well. It is great so far.

So now I have two layers of protection..?

Ok.

Thankyou all.

For some strange reason the McAfee firewall is now working (but it keeps enabling/disabling on startup) so I have installed Kerio as well. It is great so far.

So now I have two layers of protection..?

your best not running two different firewalls at the same time.

1. It slows down your system

2. It can make it more unstable

3. Three you dont need to :D.