Desktop Dir Deleted

Righty then, I don't understand this:

1.) I was watching a DVD as I do all the time, and when I closed PowerDVD 3.0 my files on my desktop were gone. The directory C:Documents and SettingsDjmUK.Server Desktop was deleted somehow.

2.) Secondly yesterday I just noticed that an entire directory in the root of my secondary hard drive was gone, it contained over 4Gig of videos. Now, how the **** can 4GB of data just delete itself without my knowledge - that kind deletion takes time and I would of noticed it.

3.) It is a second hand 30GB harddrive, but could this be the problem..?

Me no happy :dead:

See if you can get the "Lost and Found" Recovery software from "Powerquest" It is FREE at this time. This should Help in recovering your lost Video's!

As for the Infections... Get your Anti-Virus Software Up to date and download a Trojan Scanner to help confirm the presence of any Malicious Bugs!

Try at this location if you want to...

www.simplysup.com/tremover/

Hope this help!:ermm: ;)

I thought it could of been a virus - but I have Norton AntiVirus 2002 (Full) with live update running in the background, and I have Norton Personal Firewall 2002 (Full).

I'll take a look at the lost & found and scan my system again.

Firstly, run netstat -a and see if anything dodgy is running.

Check the configuration of norton personal firewall, and also check its logs, if it wasnt set up right, then u may as well have not installed it.

(Although I'd be suprised if you'd been backdoored without the AV software picking up the trojan.)

Do you have auditing running? May help (not used it myself).

Check your system event logs. You may see something relating to a bad hard drive error, not sure.

Run scandisk. You never know..

Lots of things to try, however, if you want the data back, i seriously recommend you dont install anything big in the mean time!

Jon

Ok maybe you guys need to figure out if you have something in common, like did you both do a quick format when you installed RTM, are you running any TSR type programs, what AV software are you *both* using, etc, are you using the indexing service, file permissions, blabla.

All sounds a little dodgy to me, but will be interesting to figure out what is causing it.

Jon

that kind deletion takes time and I would of noticed it

Actually it hardly takes any time at all. Normally when deleting files they are not actually deleted as in the data is wiped (which is why they are recoverable), they are simply marked as unused so that other data can cover it up in the future.

I seriously hope that my data is still there, but I cannot locate any free software to recover lost data anywhere. That lost & found is nowhere to be found.

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on any software even if it's a 30-day trial or something then please let me know he url.

Thanks again guys

I used to use a program called 'Revival'

Dunno where its from, use google

However, unless you register it, its not too useful.

What can I say (no i mean, what can i really say here!).

its a site that sounds a bit like www.altavista.com

and cardbord box's.

and sk's.

with a terminator twist on it all.

Originally posted by Jon

I used to use a program called 'Revival'

Dunno where its from, use google

However, unless you register it, its not too useful.

What can I say (no i mean, what can i really say here!).

its a site that sounds a bit like www.altavista.com

and cardbord box's.

and sk's.

with a terminator twist on it all.

I remember that site, .........Baby! hehehe

I'll try that now - thanks.

Sorry It is gone from the PowerQuest Site Already... Anyway, If you really can't find any other Program, let me know and I will send it to you... It was FREE for the last few Weeks to Download, and a Serial was provided by them for it... so I don't see any problem in doing so... :)

Originally posted by Pow35

Sorry It is gone from the PowerQuest Site Already... Anyway, If you really can't find any other Program, let me know and I will send it to you... It was FREE for the last few Weeks to Download, and a Serial was provided by them for it... so I don't see any problem in doing so... :)

Please do david@djmukonline.co.uk

Thanks in advance man :ninja: