Create a folder or shortcut without a name

• 3 months later...
i extracted the shutdown button to my desktop..and it was two reg files...

now what do i do to them to get the red shutdown power button?

585729999[/snapback]

what if i want to add applications such as TMPGenc or PowerDVD with no name would i need to do the lat+255 or is ther a reg tweak?

585732346[/snapback]

Wrong thread... :D (Desktop Icons without Text)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I made some buttons for ya all.  :D

The zip includes a Shutdown...

2543439[/snapback]

I almost wet myselft laughing after playing a prank on someone after the idea this post gave me!

I created a .reg file based on the sample in the post from Herby (thanks for the idea!) and edited it so it looked as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}]
"InfoTip"="Show the disk drives and hardware connected to computer."
@="Turn Off"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\shell32.dll,15"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell\Open\Command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shutdown.exe -s -t 00"

Then I created a folder on the desktop and renamed it as follows:

My Computer.{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}

I then got rid of the real 'My Computer' icon from the desktop and voilla!...

Each time the user attempts to open My Computer using the fake icon, thier computer is shutdown...

Anyway, it had me laughing for a while, well until I got bored and let them in on the joke.

• 4 weeks later...
True, I don't like to much Icons on my Desktop either.

Thats why I removed the Text, it looks alot cleaner...  :p

Hey! wtf... my Photobucket Account is gone!  :angry:

[EDIT] Found another Picture Host.  :D [/EDIT]

This is my solution:

SM1.jpg

584651762[/snapback]

Can I know how to make that menu ? i'm totally clueless !

My desktop is too messy and i like the way u use that menu

Pls !

I almost wet myselft laughing after playing a prank on someone after the idea this post gave me!

I created a .reg file based on the sample in the post from Herby (thanks for the idea!) and edited it so it looked as follows:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}]
"InfoTip"="Show the disk drives and hardware connected to computer."
@="Turn Off"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\shell32.dll,15"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}\Shell\Open\Command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shutdown.exe -s -t 00"

Then I created a folder on the desktop and renamed it as follows:

My Computer.{00000000-2000-0000-0000-000000000002}

I then got rid of the real 'My Computer' icon from the desktop and voilla!...

Each time the user attempts to open My Computer using the fake icon, thier computer is shutdown...

Anyway, it had me laughing for a while, well until I got bored and let them in on the joke.

586351790[/snapback]

Heh,.. yep, you can do fun things with them. :shifty: :D

Creating and renaming folders is'nt needed anymore, have a look at this thread.

Can I know how to make that menu ? i'm totally clueless !

My desktop is too messy and i like the way u use that menu

Pls !

586463640[/snapback]

Right click the Start button and select Open, create new folders in there and move your shortcuts in them.

You can change the Icons from the folders by right clicking them, select properties, go to the Customize Tab and select Change Icon. :)

It is possible to make those "icons without text" change their icons when users use iconpackager or something like that?

586463962[/snapback]

Only when you refer the Icon to Shell32.dll or any other dll or exe file that changes with iconpackager, but you can change the icons with Shell Object Editor.

For more info, have a look at this thread. (this is the old thread) :)

• 2 months later...

What a brilliant thread - something that I've been hoping to find for ages. I have resorted to the Alt-0160 trick as the Alt-255 trick causes the folder name to change to lower case "y" with two dots above it (German umlaut). Like many here, I like tweaking my PC but it's only a hobby!

I have XP Pro SP2 on a laptop and have tried the rename folder trick which is proposed here, but it simply renames the new desktop folder to .{whatever, whatever, whatever} and this is clear for all to see :-( It's almost as if I'd renamed the folder on the desktop, rather than via a command screen.

I've tried hiding the protected operating system files and rebooting.

What am I missing?

Edited by Tosca

What a brilliant thread - something that I've been hoping to find for ages.? I have resorted to the Alt-0160 trick as the Alt-255 trick causes the folder name to change to lower case "y" with two dots above it (German umlaut).? Like many here, I like tweaking my PC but it's only a hobby!

I have XP Pro SP2 on a laptop and have tried the rename folder trick which is proposed here, but it simply renames the new desktop folder to .{whatever, whatever, whatever} and this is clear for all to see :-(? It's almost as if I'd renamed the folder on the desktop, rather than via a command screen.

I've tried hiding the protected operating system files and rebooting.

What am I missing?

586805020[/snapback]

Hey Tosca,.. welcome to Neowin!:) :)

Sometimes rebuilding the Icon Cache helps (attachment), if not,.. try addi"NeverShowExt"=""/b> to the CLSID.

This example adds the String Value to the CLSID from the Control Panel:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}]
"NeverShowExt"=""

+ have a lookthis/b> thread, you don't have to rename folders and they have enhanced context menu's:happy:py:

[/Herby]

Thanks Herby - got it to work now!

My next challenge is to ensure that "Hide protected operating system files" is checked when I boot my laptop. At present, if I disable this and then reboot, the laptop remembers this, so the folder name is visible. I suspect that this might be possible using a logon script but I'd prefer to avoid that as it could be deleted easily. I know there are several registry settings including terms such as "DontShowSuperHidden", "SuperHidden", "ShowSuperHidden" etc. so I guess there's some logic in these structures. An alternative would be to disable (grey out) the "Hide protected operating system files" option for a particular user, so they can't do that for the anonymous folder or, for that matter, any of the other hidden files but I don't know if this can be done.

Hi shin_chan

The method that you've suggested works and is the one that I've used previously, but when the folder has focus, a blank hilighted box is displayed beneath the folder. If you use the method in this thread, there is *nothing* - unless the setting "hide protected operating system files" in Windows Explorer>Folder Options is unchecked.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Herby - got it to work now!

My next challenge is to ensure that "Hide protected operating system files" is checked when I boot my laptop. At present, if I disable this and then reboot, the laptop remembers this, so the folder name is visible. I suspect that this might be possible using a logon script but I'd prefer to avoid that as it could be deleted easily. I know there are several registry settings including terms such as "DontShowSuperHidden", "SuperHidden", "ShowSuperHidden" etc. so I guess there's some logic in these structures. An alternative would be to disable (grey out) the "Hide protected operating system files" option for a particular user, so they can't do that for the anonymous folder or, for that matter, any of the other hidden files but I don't know if this can be done.

If you add "NeverShowExt"="" to the CLSID it should never display the CLSID extension.

When it does, try rebuilding the Icon cache (attachment).

reico.zip

If you add "NeverShowExt"="" to the CLSID it should never display the CLSID extension.

When it does, try rebuilding the Icon cache (attachment).

Cool - yet another grain of knowledge added to my memory bank!

I've tried to download some of the .zip files from this thread from July 2004. They seem to download correctly but, when I open them, I get the response: "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again." I've managed to download other .zip files from this site, as well as others, without any problems. Any ideas?

I've tried to download some of the .zip files from this thread from July 2004. They seem to download correctly but, when I open them, I get the response: "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again." I've managed to download other .zip files from this site, as well as others, without any problems. Any ideas?

Do you really want to use the ones from this topic? (they probably got corrupted but I think I've got them on a CD-R somewhere).

Have you tried the Icons (regs) from this topic? (ACM.zip Post #1)

Thank you Herby. I have ACM.zip and I was interested to know why the .zip files from this thread seem to be corrupted. I guess that if they were large files, they may have been deleted from the server to create space but, as I said, they seem to download correctly and the error is generated when I open them.

I use WinZip 9.0. As I said, the .zip files from your textless icon thread don't generate an error when opened, nor do .zip files from other sites. It seems to just affect the .zip files in this thread. It doesn't really matter though as I don't need them. I was intrigued to know why the error occurred.

• 2 years later...

I have a lareg number of shortcust to files on the network. These clutter my desktop. Is there any way of grouping these shortcusts such that there is only one shortcut per mapped network drive and the shortcuts within each netwrok drive is in a context menu (right click in drive shortcut on desktop.)

Any help would be appreciated.