Firefox "connection was refused"

A friend of mine recently downloaded Firefox 0.9.2 and for some reason every time he tries to get to a site using Firefox it gives him this error:

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact [website]"

IE works just fine. He's tried re-downloading, he's tried 0.9.1... any ideas?

is it just one site he is not able to get to or is it all sites..... (has he tried www.google.com, www.yahoo.com etc....)?

It is all sites - he's tried Google, Yahoo, all the biggies. Nothing works in the browser. We can't figure out what's going on.

Under Tools>Options>General>Connection settings

Is everything set up correctly? Proxy or no proxy?

Also I had a similar problem with an earlier build of firefox. I tried reinstalling and I just came up with the same problem . In the end I did a full uninstall and then a clean install of firefox and it corrected it.

Thanks for the help. He figured it out. He had tried to uninstall Zone Alarm, and it hadn't completely uninstalled. So it was still running in the background, but wasn't showing him the screen to allow new programs to access the Internet, so every new program he put on his machine was automatically denied access. So he's been using Firefox for approximately 2 hours now and loves it. He says he'll never go back to IE.