Purchase a Mac or a PC?

Hey, I am going off to college pretty soon and I am looking to buy a computer (laptop), but I'm not sure what to get. Personally I have been working with PCs my whole life and I am bored :|. A mac looks like the best option... but I don't want to invest blindly, so I would like to get a couple of opinions from owners of both systems.

If you want to be able to use 99% of the programs that your school will use and play games you will want PC. Bottom line. If you plan on using your PC for ONLY Photoshop and graphic design then MAC is the way to go.

BOTTOM LINE!!!

:)

If you have the money, buy a Mac. Virtually everything you will want to do, you can do on a Mac.

I am a college student with huge student loans, so I have a PC. I plan on buying a Mac next year, once I'm out of college.

One more thing...if you plan on going into more science oriented things, a PC will be more common. If you plan on going into more art oriented things, a Mac will be more common.

being a college student myself, a Mac was out of the option.... (even though i vowed never to own a PC, i have one - for only one reason: $$$$) if you have the money, MACs are the way to go...

Well, money isnt a problem (hopefully). Its the fact that I could really go either way when it comes to a major. On this end I want to be an engineer (like everyone else), but on the other end I want to study computer graphics (again... popular today). The college I am going to seems to have the perfect solution, it sort of combines both of these majors into a degree called Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication. So... thats why I am stuck.

If you can afford it, buy a Mac and just buy VirtualPC to run your PC apps. If you are not a gamer, then Macs are the way to go (especially if you have VirtualPC). Then you can have both worlds on one machine.

If you can't afford it, buy a PC. Unfortuately, many things for the Mac are expensive so it's not the best option to save money.

I've owned both and I love both Windows and Mac systems. They each have the ups and downs.

Ethan

[sarcasm] yes by all means, if you're planning on going to college to major in gaming by all means buy a pc[/sarcasm]

I used to have the same attitude toward macs but since I stopped playing games as much I've been using the cube more and more, and I've found there's nothing on the pc that I can't do on the cube.

I say get the Mac.

get a mac, either one of the new imacs or a g4, and get vpc so u can run win xp or 2k or whatever on it, i'm planning to get a g5 (if it comes out next year) when i move

If you're looking at Graphic Arts of any type, the Mac may be best for you. And don't listen to what people say about it being too user-friendly such that you can't get at it on the system level. They just haven't used OSX yet :D

I'd say get a Mac. You can do everything you need on a Mac. More and more of teh engineering and science indsutries are switching to the Mac platform all the time. Plus, if you need to run Windows for something you can with Virtual PC.

Take a look at my Web site for more info on OS X and the Mac versus PC debate. Some of it's still being finished but 90% of it's done.

Hope this will help you out.

Jared

http://homepage.mac.com/guix