[WHICH LANG]I wanna learn, i got program ideas

Question

I am free for about 9 weeks from now (goin to France for 2 weeks though)

I decided that i wanted to learn programming so i can solve my own problems and learn.

I am planning on making a clock that goes on the desktop (I know there are many programs that do this Samurize etc but i would like to make one myself)

And then after as i'm assuming it would be a hella lot more difficult, i am planning on making a calendar program for myself (i know its been done dont bash me).

Of course i would have to make programs whilst i am learning just to learn the code etc. i understand that.

The question is WHAT LANGUAGE SHOULD I LEARN TO DO THESE PROGRAMS IN?

10 answers to this question

I think it is extreamly difficult to emulate what Samurize does in any language. The theory is that it is a program that is unseen by explorer.exe, so right-clicking on the area that is active in Samurize doesn't launch anything in the shell.

I wrote a calendar app awhile back in C++. It wasn't extreamly hard because I used an open source console calendar program as the backend, and all I had to do was modify the original code a little and add some Win32 elements.

I now use C# & .NET, it is sooo much easier to write OOP's (Object Oriented Programs).

I think it is extreamly difficult to emulate what Samurize does in any language. The theory is that it is a program that is unseen by explorer.exe, so right-clicking on the area that is active in Samurize doesn't launch anything in the shell.

lol what? that makes no sense at all...

right clicking on any program will not launch anything in the shell/explorer because you are clicking on the program, and not on explorer

oh and, if you are a complete newb to programming, i would suggest visual basic as its easier to get a hang of...

I'd go with VB.Net

I started with a ZX Spectrum manual and Qbasic... Then moved on to VB 1.0 for DOS, VB 4.0 for windows and then VB 6.0 and now VB.Net and ASP3 (I haven't moved to ASP.Net yet).

It's easy.

You can try learning basic first if you know nothing about programming, if you have some spectrum or whatever manuals around. They are really basic but help you understand programming. I started when I was 9/10.. I found a spectrum manual, opened qbasic and basically copied the programs and ran them. Then i changed a line, then another and saw what it did. that's how i learned to program.

But if you don't, you can start with VB.Net directly. It's also easy. But I wouldn't recommend starting with VB6 and then move on to VB.Net since there are MANY MANY differences, and the move is hard at first.

If you want to use .Net the language doesnt matter, use what your most comfortable with...

You might be able to do this in Flash actually if you use active desktop...