[Guide] Firefox on a USB Drive

Came across this new method of using FF on a USB Drive. Thought I could share with the Neowin community. :D It has worked so far for me with my 64 MB USB drive. Others may want to try this. :D

Source: John Haller

why do you need a guide for this i just copy the firefox dir to the thumb drive. works fine/

because it doesn't store the profile on the thumbdrive, unless you specify it on startup. there are also a few other settings like disable the storing of history and cache, to save on space on the thumbdrive.

you can also install it on you pendrive you don't have to copy the map.

But if you copy the map you will get also the plugins and the history, bookmarks on you Pdrive!!

I followed the guide, but I still can't get extensions and themes working on all computers.

Anyone got had any success with extensions and themes?

I didn't read everything on that page but it looks like a hell of a lot more work then what I put in my Firefox guide...

1. Copy the Firefox application folder and your profile folder to the removable media. In this example we will use R:\Firefox for the application folder and R:\FFProfile as the profile folder, assuming the drive letter for the removable media is R:.

2. Create a simple batch file called R:\Firefox.bat with the following line:

start \Firefox\firefox.exe -profile \FFProfile

3. Optionally, disable the disk cache to reduce the amounts of file writes to the removable storage by entering about:config in the address field of Firefox and set browser.cache.disk.enable to false.

Firefox Guide