Making Firefox themes?

Is there instructions on how to make firefox themes somewhere? Like the files that need to be edited and how to jar them? Also is the only way to install a firefox them through the themes website? If not how can I install themes that I have downloaded.

Thanks

Mark

To make firefox themes, you have to edit a already-made theme. At least that is what I read about. About installing. Simply open the Themes Manager and drag any theme .jar files into the theme window and it will ask you if you want to install. Select the theme and click Use Theme to use that theme in firefox.

Thank you very much! I am editing a them right now. Working out pretty nice. However on the searchbar, I need to push the right side out a few pixels to make the rounded part look right.

fftoolbar.jpg

See what I mean...

Mark

thats a very very good design :D please please post it or email me it when its done

HAHA!! Thanks... I sure will send it to you when (if) I get it done. I just need to figure out my little issue with the right side of the google search first. If anyone could help me with that, I would greatly be happy :)

Mark

any chance of a tutorial when you are finished making this theme?

I wa actually thinking of that. I have found NO help at all anywhere on what the lines in the CSS's are for. Right now I change a number buy a lot... like if margin-left is 1px, I change it to 50 then save the browser.css and reinstall the theme and see what changes. It is taking forever.

On updating a old them. The browser.css seems to have changed quite a bit so what I have done is take graphics out of the old theme and put them in a theme I downloaded and then edit the browser.css as needed. Now I am now stuck on the google search bar with the right end. I need to nudge that over 3 pixels and I can't find where to put it.

If anyone knows please tell me.

Mark

I wa actually thinking of that. I have found NO help at all anywhere on what the lines in the CSS's are for. Right now I change a number buy a lot... like if margin-left is 1px, I change it to 50 then save the browser.css and reinstall the theme and see what changes. It is taking forever.

On updating a old them. The browser.css seems to have changed quite a bit so what I have done is take graphics out of the old theme and put them in a theme I downloaded and then edit the browser.css as needed. Now I am now stuck on the google search bar with the right end. I need to nudge that over 3 pixels and I can't find where to put it.

If anyone knows please tell me.

Mark

yeah, a tutorial would be good idea someday :) :)

@mrouleau, I might be able to help you. You can send me the JAR file you just edit and I will see what I can do. kasteo@gmail.com

Sent. Thanks for your help!

Mark

agreed and ditto :) fantastic job mrouleau (Y)

WOW! Thanks again. I am trying to tweak it for release. Tell you the truth I was never expecting to have a 'release' of this (didn't think anyone would like it).

Here is where I am at now

saf-fox_preview.jpg

Hopefully we can get that search bar looking correct. Thanks for the support!

Mark

With major help from Kasteo my Saffire theme actually may get released. Thanks and 'mad props yo!' go to Kesteo for looking through my 31337 god awful coding skillz and making the change. I fixed some other things like text positioning in the URL and Search bars as well as the fav icons not showing up right. I also fixed the striped bookmarks so that it goes all the way down when you open the side bookmark panel. I think the formating just may be all done. So now I need to get the Property and Download pages to look the way I want.

Here is the latest pic.... I am sure you can see the right side of the search bar now with what I ment.

saffire-0.5.2.jpg

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Mark

Edited by mrouleau

LOOKING GOOD DOOD!!!!!!!

i want this theme!!!! im currently using 'FireFox Modern' but ill happily change to your themes as soon as its complete!

i hope this'll have an 'install link' like they do on the mozilla website....

how to jar them?

You have to zip all files together with a zip utility, like... ehm... ZipGenius :blush:

JAR files are renamed ZIP files: ZipGenius handles them directly.

HAHA Thanks!!! I will try your utility out!

Since this has turned into a 'when will it be released thread' I have started one here.

Thanks for everyones support and BIG thanks to Kasteo

Mark