Visual C++ (Console Mode)

Question

Hi, i've got a question about graphics in Visual C++ (Console Mode), i can change the text color and the cursor position, but

it is possible to draw a rectangle, a triangle or a circle too? If it is possible can someone explain me how can i do that please??

Thanks

UltraMAX

9 answers to this question

You need to get your hands on a conio.h file of a Borland compiler, it has all of that functions for standard drawing, I don't know if it works with circles or triangles but lines a squares are drawn :D.

The conio.h from Visual C++ doesn't have support for these functions, or are implemented in a different way :p

Sorry GatorV, but i know that, see, someone told me first for the impossibility to change the texcolor or to change the cursor position under Visual C++ because

the Conio.h didn't support that functions. But truth it's the Conio.h didn't support them, but the Windows.h file support them, so i think, if it support them, maybe it's also possible to draw a rectangle or a circle too .... are you sure about this?

Sorry for my bad english

and forgive me if i'm boring you, but i'm new guy in the "code world" :blush:

Thanks

UlraMAX

Not a problem :D , the window.h it's only for the win32 enviroment, I checked the conio.h that comes with borland compilers (not the new one) and it has some basic drawing, you should try to find one and see if it suits you, also because you can now have modern graphics like DirectX or OpenGL, that why DOS graphics has been deprecated :cool:

Yes, but right now i'm starting studing C language and i don't know (for now) C++ nether the powerfull Visual C++, then

when i know to work with them both maybe i can do some nice graphics :D ... but my math ... it's also not good :(

Many thanks for answer me man!

Cheers

UltraMAX

hmm. I'm assuming from your wish to draw circles and triangles you want to be drawing stuff that doesnt use ascii drawing characters. If thats the case you'll want to look up for information on DOS graphic programming for accessing graphics mode at the console.

things to look at maybe include VGA DOS VESA etc on google. Ascii linedrawing is easy however but you are limited to boxes by nature of the dos font.

I'm a little rusty on my c prorammign as I've not done any in 6 years but it shouldbe easy to lookup on google eitherway.

cout << "+---------+";
cout << "|         |";
cout << "|         |";
cout << "+---------+";

:whistle:

cout << "+---------+";
cout << "|         |";
cout << "|         |";
cout << "+---------+";

:whistle:

heh, nice try, but that's just a funny line :p

Oh :p I forgot the "endl;" :pinch: I'm used to writing Console.WriteLine() if anything :whistle: I normally don't do console programming, Windows Forms for me! :D

Yes, but right now i'm starting studing C language and i don't know (for now) C++ nether the powerfull Visual C++, then

when i know to work with them both maybe i can do some nice graphics  ... but my math ... it's also not good

I can relate. Not long ago, I, too, wanted simple console graphics in C++. It took weeks, literally, to find the only site that had "graphics.h" and "mingw.h" that would work with my setup. By the time I finally got going with it, it hardly seemed worth the effort.

Then, I discovered OpenGL. Like you, I had been saying "no, that sounds way too complicated for me!", but once I found the FANTASTIC tutorials at NeHe's site, I was doing all kinds of graphics in no time. The tutorials at this site are simple to follow, the sample code is well-commented, and in a week I had my own cool little 3d-environment (albeit, it runs slo-o-w on my system!)(and OK, it seemed cool to ME, cuz they were MY bitmaps pasted onto MY polygon archetecture...) to run around in.

Doing all this one raster line at a time seems like it would be ludicrous! I'm much happier doing graghics in OpenGL, now that I've gotten to try it!

-Hosiah

PS I'm still pretty noob myself, I'm sure the more experienced on this board may have something to add (or even correct!)